2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know they're not really comparable but just for a laugh:

The Civic is much quieter, both on tickover and underway. The GTR has a lot of tyre noise from the huge Dunlop rubber and the 3.7 V6 has a real rumble as well as the twin-turbo whistle over 3000rpm.The 1.8 sounds much more muted.

Mrs Rod much prefers to ride in the Civic. The GT-R is very hard, even on "Comfort" setting and on "R" setting it's like a go-kart.

The Civic gives the GT-R a pasting on MPG. Driven hard, I still get 36mpg from the Civic. At a day's driver training at Millbrook in the GT-R I got, er, 12 mpg!

There's room for my diving gear in the Civic, not the GT-R.

They're about the same in the snow. Although the GTR has AWD the Dunlops are more slick than winter and tend to slither about on top more than the skinny Bridgestones on the Civic.

However, the GT-R will give pretty much anything a pasting on performance. A man in a 997 looked utterly amazed he couldn't shake me on a fast A road last month. In fact, he was looking rather out of shape so I backed off rather than cause him a problem.

The Civic is much cheaper to run. GT-R tyres at £500 each,anyone??

Overall, I'm very pleased with both, using the Civic as my daily driver more than the Nissan, but I have to say that I like the Civic more and more for some of the above reasons. The Nissan is the car of a lifetime for me and, as a mate said recently " It's not really a car, more like the Oblivion ride at Olton Towers..!" But those who knock the Civic should know that it compares rather well in some areas .

All the best

Rod

·
Jaguar Master Tech
425 Posts
If you had the 2.2 Type-S then there'd be no need for the GT-R ;)! Just waiting for 6 numbers to come up, then I'll be in the GT-R club too :cool:!

·
Aye Aye....
7,100 Posts
I have become obsessed with the GT-R its unbelievable, just tremendous...unfortunately like smudge i'll no be buying one anytime soon...as there is no comparison...at all....between the two apart from they have the usual 4 wheels etc...were you simply setting this thread up to make us all jealous?:(

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
I have to jump on this bandwagon and admit that I am actually in love with the GTR.

As a consolation for my Type R trackday at Cadwell Park being cancelled, my girlfriend bought me an experience track day at prestwold hall in Leics. When I looked on the webiste I and saw it was there, I had to choose the GTR and I also had the new lambo Gallardo LP560.

I drove the lambo first and loved it, but then I got into the GTR......

Oh my god... that car is phenomenal! I had 8 laps to enjoy and that is just what I did, WOW! I just wish i could have had more!

I would love to drive one one of those every day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't trying to make you jealous, honest, in fact you might notice that the Civic wins in certain areas...

One downside I didn't mention on the Nissan; as well as waves from fellow petrol heads ( and a fair few CTR's) it's also as Clarkson said when he owned a Gaillardo " a magnet for *****!" Lots of Corsa drivers seem to want to race...(Yawn)

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
I wasn't trying to make you jealous, honest, in fact you might notice that the Civic wins in certain areas...

One downside I didn't mention on the Nissan; as well as waves from fellow petrol heads ( and a fair few CTR's) it's also as Clarkson said when he owned a Gaillardo " a magnet for *****!" Lots of Corsa drivers seem to want to race...(Yawn)
You even get that in a humble Type R...

·
Jaguar Master Tech
425 Posts
" a magnet for *****!" Lots of Corsa drivers seem to want to race...(Yawn)
I've got a few mates who own, or have owned Evo's and Scoobys, and it's the same with them, it's always Corsa drivers who try and get them to race :rolleyes:.

·
Quit yo Jibba Jabba
177 Posts
The GT-R is my dream car, I would love to own one. I Can't see it happening any time soon though :(

Funny comparison though, I guess at the end of the day the Civic is more practical, the GT-R more exciting.

·
Aye Aye....
7,100 Posts
Aye that's a good shout get some pics of the GTR up...i think I've actually put everyone I know off it cos I rant about it so much but most importantly my dad has got right into it now and he's talkin about gettin one soon....next hurdle is convincing him to put me on the insurance!!!

I totally agree with everyone on the corsa drivers I had asome wee pleb with pishy xenons and what sounded like a halfords backbox tryin to race me lol lol lol i was goin to go in reverse to make it a competition at least

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Who wouldn't like a GT-R! Even an hour with one would do for me.

I'll have to put up with an R-GT for now though...

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

Drive it in reverse then - should be the same!

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts

I feel your pain fellow mere mortal... Our R-GT's that we all cruise around in which keep us in a bubble of happiness :VTECSMILEY: .. are only to be shattered by such a car as the Nissan...

Wow, calling it a Nissan completely ruins it for me! All I can think of now is micras and quasquais (??) and sunny's! agh!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a photo of the two at home- not a great quality one, I know but will give you a view.

By the way, if I was rich before I bought the GTr, it's keeping me poor now!

Regards

Rod

Attachments

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,602 Posts
lucky boy, thats my next car :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts