2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Yesterday I washed my car like I always do and later when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start.

First I thought maybe I left the lights on and it drained the battery so we tried to jump start it... but nothing happens.

I've shot a video

please help guys :crying:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Simple issue there.....your sat on the wrong side lol a little more info, did you wash under the bonnet at all or get the key wet in anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And its never done this fault before in the time you have owned it?

no never. I might have left the lights on and that could drain the battery. But jump starting didn't work.

The battery is 4,5 years old now

·
Registered
23 Posts
Deffo worth a try if not it needs plugging in to a good code reader and seeing what errors its pulling up

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
check the battery terminals are nice and tight

see if the earth straps from the battery to the bodywork and the bodywork to the engine are secure and not badly corroded and obviously check the battery terminals are done up nice n tight

check the terminals on the starter motor are tight and the starter motor has not come loose

if all seems good it can only be the battery or the starter motor solenoid

what you are listening to is the solenoid not pushing the starter motor gear into place which usually happens when the battery hasn't enough charge or isn't supplying enough current to the starter motor which would take us back to a bad earth strap

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check the battery terminals are nice and tight

see if the earth straps from the battery to the bodywork and the bodywork to the engine are secure and not badly corroded and obviously check the battery terminals are done up nice n tight

check the terminals on the starter motor are tight and the starter motor has not come loose

if all seems good it can only be the battery or the starter motor solenoid

what you are listening to is the solenoid not pushing the starter motor gear into place which usually happens when the battery hasn't enough charge or isn't supplying enough current to the starter motor which would take us back to a bad earth strap
The terminals are all good! I even have the HKS grounding kit, so it should be good. Do you maybe have a picture where the starter motor is, so I can check if the teminals are tight?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you try this suggestion I made earlier?
not yet mate, I'll try to recharge the battery first overnight and see if this fixes it. If that doesn't I'll try the switch (I'm a bit worried about taking the panel of without breaking any clips :grin2: )

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
not yet mate, I'll try to recharge the battery first overnight and see if this fixes it. If that doesn't I'll try the switch (I'm a bit worried about taking the panel of without breaking any clips :grin2: )
Don't worry about the clips it is pretty easy to get off, I have removed this panel several times to do work behind the dash.

It does squeak a bit when removing but it is robust and just needs gentle persuasion/wiggling, the hardest bit is getting a trim removal tool under one of the edges.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
would the fuel cut off switch stop the starter motor engaging properly ?
i would have thought if the cut off had triggered it would allow the engine to turn over but not fire

dunno never had one trip out on me

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
It sounds like the fuel cutoff switch, it's easy to trigger apparently, I'd say try it like Jon_G suggested.
Just watched the video, my car sounded the same and it was the fuel cut off switch if it was the battery you would get a ! symbol on the dashboard as soon as you turn the key in the ignition barrel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts