2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm on a hard right lock - doesn't have to be quite full lock.

anyone experience this or have an idea what's causing it?

It's like a metallic clangy growly rattley noise but disappears when i straighten back up.
Can't begin to guess where it's coming from either
not even sure where to start looking!

Cheers for any ideas?

Gavin

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
sounds very much like a c.v joint noise,possibly left front,as this is the one under most load when turning right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the ideas guys.. It's not like a clicking sound like a CV Joint.. more of a 'heat shield rattling' type of sound if I'm honest.

The brake pads don't appear excessively worn when looking through the wheels. I think it's a bit of a long shot as it doesn't make this noise when braking normally, but I'll try with the VSA off to see if it still does it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers,
Gavin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an 06 plate 2.2 CDTi Sport and I'm having exactly the same problem. Turning right (e.g. around roundabouts / sharp bends) causes a VSA warning light and grinding noise and a slowing of the car. Turn VSA off and the problem is solved.

It went in for a service yesterday (not at Honda) and brake pads, etc. are fine.

Interestingly, I took my vehicle into a local garage to have a new dual mass flywheel / clutch fitted to solve clutch slipping a 2k revs, and that's when the problem started. They've had it back a couple of times and tell me they can't find any problem. I'm taking it to Honda to run a diagnostic - but I'm just wondering whether it's plausible that the dodgy garage caused this problem whilst carrying out the work - and whether anyone has ever found out what causes this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
?

What it could be is build up of old brake deposits to rear of disc and when load is on ie turning corners it makes this noise. u have 2 options
1, try chippin off deposits but u may damage disc,
2 buy new front discs.
Took me ages to come to this conclusion!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same noise when turning left.

I'm getting this same sound, exactly as described, at around 75-100% lock when turning left. It is clearly coming from the front drivers side wheel, but apart from the noise there appears to be no other ill effects. I took the wheel off, had a nose, but didn't notice anything. It sounds like thin metal scraping (best I can think to describe it) but i haven't a clue. Has anyone got any further with this? :confused:

·
FEAR NAUGHT
73 Posts
I`ve just got this on my car and read it may be a stone stuck in the brakes which is rubbing ,will take the wheel off 2moz and have alook.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem and it was a small stone that had flicked up and was happily sitting between the disc and the shield. Stone removed and problem solved. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
FEAR NAUGHT
73 Posts
I had the same problem and it was a small stone that had flicked up and was happily sitting between the disc and the shield. Stone removed and problem solved. [smilie=gt-happyup.:[/quote]

Can you confirm its the "2 x Philips screws" that you loosen the shield with ?

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
In my past experience it's always been the disc shield that caused any form of 'grinding' sound whilst driving... be sure to check behind the shield and DEFINATELY give the shield a little push away from the disc as they have been known to warp ever so slightly causing them to rub... this has now happened on my old EP3, my firends EP3 and my new FK2.

·
FEAR NAUGHT
73 Posts
Well I took my back wheel off today ,looked all over it and couldn`t see any stones stuck. I then took off the brake pads and they had loads of wear left in them, but I changed them for new ones anyway.
I took my car for a spin and could still hear the grinding noise....
I then thought I`d check my front wheel and took it off and gave it a spin and THERE IT WAS THE GRINDING NOISE coming from my front right wheel and not my back wheel.....DOE ...!
I took took the brake pads off and they wear worn right to about 1mm...!
Changed them both any everything is fine again..:)
Well at least i`ve learnt how to change both the front and back pads now..ha ha :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
i had this exact problem and you will find my post if you have a look, i got my clutch and flywheel changed then i got the same problem as you, and im told it was the steering collum? i dont see how!! and it cause the steering to feel notchy..

I've got an 06 plate 2.2 CDTi Sport and I'm having exactly the same problem. Turning right (e.g. around roundabouts / sharp bends) causes a VSA warning light and grinding noise and a slowing of the car. Turn VSA off and the problem is solved.

It went in for a service yesterday (not at Honda) and brake pads, etc. are fine.

Interestingly, I took my vehicle into a local garage to have a new dual mass flywheel / clutch fitted to solve clutch slipping a 2k revs, and that's when the problem started. They've had it back a couple of times and tell me they can't find any problem. I'm taking it to Honda to run a diagnostic - but I'm just wondering whether it's plausible that the dodgy garage caused this problem whilst carrying out the work - and whether anyone has ever found out what causes this?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Just started to get this. Am hoping its the brake Disc's and this "metal Scrapping noise" will disappear.

(am good at finding old posts lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts