2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

For a while now ive been looking to get a fun/weekend car...

My thoughts are, something that is fairly simple mechanically, reliable if possible, fun to drive and maintain with low costs..

...so far two thoughts...

Porsche 924/944 and Golf Mk2

Any thoughts welcome

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
They are not really classics as such, but here is another vote for an MX-5.

(I have one too).
Yes, I know what you mean.
Mind you, I think a car becomes 'classic' when it is 25 years old or more. The mk1 MX5 came out in 1989 so it just about qualifies.

Difficult to find anything 40 years old which is ready for weekend fun for 2 grand but it's good to keep looking as you never know.

OP, let us know as and when you find something, as it's an interesting thread.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean.
Mind you, I think a car becomes 'classic' when it is 25 years old or more. The mk1 MX5 came out in 1989 so it just about qualifies.
Yes, the Mk1s are becoming "young timer" classics now.

Difficult to find anything 40 years old which is ready for weekend fun for 2 grand but it's good to keep looking as you never know.
True.
I'm not really up to date on UK classics prices, but something like an old Fiat might be available in that price range? Maybe not 40 years old, but 30-35?
126 or X1/9.

For a while now ive been looking to get a fun/weekend car...

My thoughts are, something that is fairly simple mechanically, reliable if possible, fun to drive and maintain with low costs..
"Classic" is only mentioned in the title, if old (i.e. carbs and rust) is not important, then an MX-5 really fits your description very well.

I use mine on the road and for some basic track stuff, I have driven it north of the polar circle as well as down to Maranello, Italy.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
If you all go to your kitchens, open the cutlery drawer and you can see what all the old fiats have been turned into...
Can't be true. Fiat never used that high quality steel.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
On the Porsche theme...

Can you really find a decent 944 on your budget?
The 924s are also cheaper to run, as long as you stay clear of the Turbo and S models, which had Porsche engines.

The 924s had better rust proofing after 1982 (I think, better double check that), and they are nice cars which would have been very highly regarded if they had used the VW badge.

EDIT: Here is a good introduction to 924s:
https://porsche924.co.uk/buyers/

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
They are not really classics as such, but here is another vote for an MX-5.

(I have one too).
Another vote for mx5 here . . . had one for 16 years and its the only car I have never wanted to change:D:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts