2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi car cleaning pros,

im after some advice on how to clean my cars standard alloys (Pic below)

Seen a few threads on cleaning black alloys, but they are a few years old, so i wondered if they are newer products available. My alloys are kind of 'dull' and some brake dust refuses to come off. Mostly at the end of the spokes (Outer rim side). Never had any problems with my previous alloys (silver Kei Racing Force 10s) All those needed was some a bucket of water + meguiars gold touch car shampoo and a light rub with a wash mitt. Any help or advice greatly received :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Give them a good clean with a dedicated wheel cleaner like VP Bilberry or AD Very Cherry, then step up to de iron product like Iron X and once clean seal them (FK1000p is good can use on paint too). Then you will be able to just use regular car shampoo or a weak wheel cleaner solution to keep them clean. ;)

·
Aye Aye....
7,104 Posts
Hi car cleaning pros,

im after some advice on how to clean my cars standard alloys (Pic below)

Seen a few threads on cleaning black alloys, but they are a few years old, so i wondered if they are newer products available. My alloys are kind of 'dull' and some brake dust refuses to come off. Mostly at the end of the spokes (Outer rim side). Never had any problems with my previous alloys (silver Kei Racing Force 10s) All those needed was some a bucket of water + meguiars gold touch car shampoo and a light rub with a wash mitt. Any help or advice greatly received :popcorn2:
If you can drop by East Kilbride on Saturday I can get a look at them and give you some help/advice?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give them a good clean with a dedicated wheel cleaner like VP Bilberry or AD Very Cherry, then step up to de iron product like Iron X and once clean seal them (FK1000p is good can use on paint too). Then you will be able to just use regular car shampoo or a weak wheel cleaner solution to keep them clean. ;)
Cheers, I'll look into that

·
retroppuS
957 Posts

Bilberry is good stuff. Highly recommend it! Lasts for ages too

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,687 Posts
As Matt said, hit them with a mild wheel cleaner, then hot soapy water & see how they come up. Likely they will then need a de-iron product, current fav is Bilt Hamber auto wheels. Might need somevagitation in the corners. Once clean get them sealed up.

·
Aye Aye....
7,104 Posts
Opie Oils is a good supplier, reasonable post & 10% forum discount

You guys re agitation, bloody crapple iPoo auto correct
Aye true, not a supplier I often use, I like CYC as if your buying a lot you get a decent amount back (1 point per £1 spent; each point is worth 4p too) so it's a good incentive, I've got £20 in my account just now for example

·
Aye Aye....
7,104 Posts
Wheels look similar to this, maybe not as dirty looking

ebay listing - see pics of its wheels would I need vp bilberry?
I use bilberry as a maintenance cleaner, but I'd use something stronger like auto wheels to get you to a good clean finish then use bilberry weekly after you've decontaminated and sealed them

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Likely they will then need a de-iron product, current fav is Bilt Hamber auto wheels. Might need somevagitation in the corners. Once clean get them sealed up.
I see halfards sell the Bilt Hamber. Just to double check, Do I just spray this on and leave it for a few minutes. Then rinse off with a hose/watering can? Then wash them in car shampoo, and add a layer of poorboys top coat sealant once done?

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,687 Posts
I see halfards sell the Bilt Hamber. Just to double check, Do I just spray this on and leave it for a few minutes. Then rinse off with a hose/watering can? Then wash them in car shampoo, and add a layer of poorboys top coat sealant once done?
Yes spray on, leave for a couple of mins at least, you will see it react & the wheel will go red. You then need to pressure wash it off, I don't think a hose will be powerful enough. If you don't have a pressure washer then use the hose to get most of it off & then wash the wheels with soapy water. Dry & then add your sealant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts