2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a sandstorm came down in that rain the other night, my new car is filthy already - impossible to see on the cosmic grey unless you look closely of course ;)

I need to go shopping, my current list is:

Alloys - CarPlan WonderWheels as recommended here http://tinyurl.com/p3ter

Tyres - CarPlan Tyre Slik as recommended here
http://tinyurl.com/jhmww

Shampoo - normally use Autoglym, may try that Meguier stuff

Polish - no hurry for this as I've got SilverSeal coating on my Civic

Oh, and a new sponge or does everyone recommend these Lambs wool wash mitts?

Let the suggestions begin, what are you all using?

Fedorov.

·
您看了
456 Posts
For your tyres go for Turtle Wax "Wet & Black". Its a clear plastic bottle similar to window cleaner. Just spray it on and leave it. Goes on clean and wet, stays looking that way.

Its also only £4.99 a bottle.

Meg's over Autoglym any day of the week.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
I had that sand storm too a couple of times, where do you live Fed?. I have the Supaguard pack for cleaning. Has shampoo sachets, bird poo cleaner and lots of other things. You might be able to buy the stuff individaully, Autoglym stuff won't let you down either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello!

The wonder wheels is supposed to be the best so I bought some for my old ST. Never used it though as you can't just spray it on you have to mix it to use it. Its a good 'one off' cleaning tool but your better using something like Simmonz or other brand for the weekly clean.

Also - I seem to remember being told that all alloy cleaners are slightly acidic in order to shift the grime and will probably cause corrosion after a period of use. It did on my ST - beautiful shiney silver alloys developed 'pock' marks were there where the slightest of nicks.

I just stick to soap, water and an alloy wheel brush now - if there are any of those black marks I use a bit of elbow grease or some polish - usually works ok!

A good site for info on all products is..........

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/

Hope this helps!!

J :D

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
On the alloy front, give them a quick water and sponge every week and use the alloy cleaner only in the winter when the grim and break dust sets in.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kpow99 said:
I had that sand storm too a couple of times, where do you live Fed?. I have the Supaguard pack for cleaning. Has shampoo sachets, bird poo cleaner and lots of other things. You might be able to buy the stuff individaully, Autoglym stuff won't let you down either.
Kpow, I'm in the NE, if Hartside is in hitting multi-storey ramps in Newcastle then I'm not too far away from him ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know when you get to the checkout and you think OMG have I spent that much! Just been to Halfords to treat my Civic to nice new cleaning products...

Meguair's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner BIG bottle
Meguair's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
Meguair's Hot Shine Tyre Spray
Meguair's Microfibre Wash mitt
Halford's Extra Extra Large chamois leather (hey it was cheaper than the Meg one) :)

If it stops raining this weekend I'll wash it :)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Hey Fedorov, if your looking for practice I could bring mind round :lol: Sounds like you have all the gear now!

Remember to have a clean bucket of warm water handy and dunk your mitt in it between soapings. This dislodges all the little pieces of grit from the mitt and protects your paintwork. Excellent site here if you're a bit anal about keeping your car nice:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Hartside, damn I forgot to buy a 2nd bucket :( ;)

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Just had a thought, the "Flash" car wash system with the Auto Dry is very good for drying then you can buff up, unfortunately we have a hose pipe ban so can't use it :( :( :(

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL unlucky, great in the UK isn't it, 2 days of sunshine and hosepipe bans come into force, 2 days or rain and half the country is flooded.... :roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased Meguair's Microfibre Wash mitt and Meguair's towel (3 pack)The towels in particular are worth the extra - they dry the car exceptionally well and are washable.

Also, avoid using hydroblades on paintwork as even the tinyest bit of grit can be dragged along the paintwork. However they are excellent on glass.

I bought Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine and the result on Nighthawk Black was first rate. No streaks or anything and it covers swirl marks resonably well too (yes, my Civic had some the day I got it!). Although its a one-step product designed for new or moderate paintwork I found that applying some Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection afterwards made a huge difference to the water resisitent properties.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I was very impressed with that same wash mitt and the gold class shampoo is great. I took the Autoexpress website recommendation of Halford's extra extra large real chamois for drying, wonder how it compares to what you're using...

Think I'll get the Meguair's Bug and Tar remover next ready for when it starts to appear on my new motor ;)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Okay.. I have the meg towels, and some pads. Im gonna grab the gold shampoo.... but what after that? Should I polish/wax? Which product should I use?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry bg I'll have to pass on that answer, I've got the SilverSeal coating so I'm not bothering to wax or polish after using that great meg's gold shampoo ;)

·
Registered
975 Posts
autobestbuy.com? i think sells a pack of all the autoexpress product winners and is good value i got it and the products are amazing.

have a look.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts