2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So from a couple of days ago a started to get this annoying clicking and crunch noises from my clutch pedal....!!

My car is only 27000 km... but over 3 years old, so no more waranty!!

Is it the Master Cylinder??

How much does it cost?

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
"Is it the Master Cylinder??"

No, I really don't think so.
It's a fairly straight forward fix and is a known problem with the Civic.
Those on here who have had it sorted, will give you more information.

·
V-tec BOOM
1,015 Posts
i need this info to
my started clicking couple of days ago its done 28000m

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Could well be the master cylinder or it just needs lubricating.... But the click will return after lubricating no doubt.

Some people have had the problem from day one, most Honda dealers believe it to be the cruise control button located under the clutch. Although if the problem has just begun, than I'd simply lubricate under the clutch, and see if it still happens. I believe a number of people have done just that and it's sorted it.

It's a known fault, and ive got it happening on mine, but my dealer assures me that it's the cruise control button. I just live with it now... It doesn't happen every time... Once a week maybe.

Hope that helps... Master cylinder is a fairly costly job, I should imagine around the £500 mark... Got to way up your options, plus you'll have to pay a diagnostic charge of around £50-£100 depending on your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could most likely be both the master cylinder and the cruise control button. I have an uncle who is a Honda mechanic and deals with warranty issues everyday. Lubrication of the rubber button that the cruise control button touches is a permanent fix from personal experience, lubrication of the master cylinder chamber is the fix for the crunchy clutch but it will come back over time. I've had 2 Type R's one 07 build and currently a 2010 model. The 07 model lasted 50000km before I got clutch click and lubrication of the master cylinder fixed it instantly and lasted around 10000 km. The 2010 model was within 2500km but again, lubrication lasted up until recently (40000 km) It's awkward to do but it saves the fight with Honda dealers as they are reluctant to swap the master cylinder as it's a pain in e ass job to do. It's the design of the part and a replacement is unlikely to permanently fix the problem unless someone can report otherwise.

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
I had real fights with my dealer, it was in and out 6 times and everytime the click came back so now I ignore it

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I had this on my 57 plate 2.2 civic and it was back into the honda dealers this week for a new clutch box to be fitted under warranty! The car only has 20k on clock .

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
In the 3 years that I have owned my FN2 it has had the lubrication fix done twice and each time the fault came back, they then replaced the pedal box and the fault returned within a couple of weeks, then the clutch pedal was "realigned" but the clicking/criunching came back and then 10 days ago they finally replaced the master cylinder..... only time will tell if this has fixed it for good. My car is now out of warranty, but dealer has said if I still have problems then it will be looked at as it has been a continuing fault over the 3 years (10300 miles)

If the clicking is at the top of the clutch travel then I believe this is the cruise control switch, if the clicking/crunching is near the bottom of the travel then more than likely any of the other faults listed above.

So IMO no definitive fix for this at the moment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hi guys ive had this problem ever since i took mine in to replace a snapped clutch pedal spring 3 months ago. for me it clicks when on full clutch-in, and clicks again mid-way releasing.
planning to call up honda soon.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
hi guys ive had this problem ever since i took mine in to replace a snapped clutch pedal spring 3 months ago. for me it clicks when on full clutch-in, and clicks again mid-way releasing.
Mine is the same as this.

I have had the clutch replaced at a cost of £300 (Honda agreed to cover the rest) and it still happened. I took it back about 3 times and each time they replaced or lubricated something, I still have the issue. I don't want to take it back again as I feel like a neurotic pain in the butt but its annoys the hell out of me....

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I think that's the pedal catching on the cruise control switch isn't it?

·
Premium Member
975 Posts

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
It's been discussed on the forum but not sure if a solution was found. Just leaving work now so don't have time to search.
Will have a quick look when I get home.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Im sure I was reading its the plastic around the clutch pedal and removing it cures it? I've got the same click on mine and I've had a brand new clutch, like everyone else i just live with it now

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Im sure I was reading its the plastic around the clutch pedal and removing it cures it? I've got the same click on mine and I've had a brand new clutch, like everyone else i just live with it now
yeah, I'm living with it but don't want to be :(

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
on mine it was a white plastic gasket that guides the spring in a hole on the pedal where it is fitted. This had cracked or just become worn. this caused the spring to move just before the clutch pedal reached the bottom, causing a click. This was solved only be replacing the pedal assembly (or whatever it is called in english...)

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it - as other have said, I have had this "fixed" 3 times now - it always comes back after a few weeks or so. In September I told them I wanted it sorting - I haven't even bothered booking it in yet!! I will do at some point but I am 100% sure it will be the usual story. So long as it isn't anything serious we just have to live with it... :mad:

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
I'm presuming that mine is the Master Cylinder as I've had a new clutch pedal assembly and new cruise control switch fitted... neither of which has made an ounce of difference. Suffered this from 6k miles... now done 26k miles :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts