2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone shed light on this problem. The problem is inconsistent, and some weeks you wont hear it, other day's you'll hear it non-stop.

Its a click, which appears to come from the drivers side suspension / footwell / under drivers side dashboard (Hard to locate).

I've had the problem for over a year, and when taken to a Honda Dealers, I find it difficult to recreate the noise. I cant make it just appear. I thought maybe its worse in colder conditions (-3 to 2 or 3c), but not sure if this is logical.

I'm aware of the possible problems, i.e Sub-Frame, bump stops, linkage etc? Apparently the Sub-Frame mod was done by my dealer, although I have had so many problems with them, I'd be surprised if they even done this, they are so dodgy.

Anyway, attempting to keep a long story short, I had KW V1 Coilovers fitted to eliminate the bump stop or general suspension being the problem, and for about a week i didn't hear a thing.... After washing the vehicle, and on a very cold day, it returned?!

You could say it was slightly louder, and now its more consistent, i.e its not gone away as of yet.

The click happens over bumps, and normally a double click (almost like a louder double click of a mouse on a computer) but not all bumps in the road... No problems with full lock, or anything like that, and it doesn't happen really while turning.

any thoughts at all would help massively. I do have it booked in at Sumo Power in Sussex for April (who fitted the suspension) to have a look into it, but just wanted your views before? I could take it back to honda, but confident that they may turn me away, having after market suspension fitted, they could easily blame it on that, even though the car is still within extended warranty.

Has anyone got any idea how much a new subframe would cost? I have a feeling its not cheap!

Any help, would be great help! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone shed light on this problem. The problem is inconsistent, and some weeks you wont hear it, other day's you'll hear it non-stop.

Its a click, which appears to come from the drivers side suspension / footwell / under drivers side dashboard (Hard to locate).

I've had the problem for over a year, and when taken to a Honda Dealers, I find it difficult to recreate the noise. I cant make it just appear. I thought maybe its worse in colder conditions (-3 to 2 or 3c), but not sure if this is logical.

I'm aware of the possible problems, i.e Sub-Frame, bump stops, linkage etc? Apparently the Sub-Frame mod was done by my dealer, although I have had so many problems with them, I'd be surprised if they even done this, they are so dodgy.

Anyway, attempting to keep a long story short, I had KW V1 Coilovers fitted to eliminate the bump stop or general suspension being the problem, and for about a week i didn't hear a thing.... After washing the vehicle, and on a very cold day, it returned?!

You could say it was slightly louder, and now its more consistent, i.e its not gone away as of yet.

The click happens over bumps, and normally a double click (almost like a louder double click of a mouse on a computer) but not all bumps in the road... No problems with full lock, or anything like that, and it doesn't happen really while turning.

any thoughts at all would help massively. I do have it booked in at Sumo Power in Sussex for April (who fitted the suspension) to have a look into it, but just wanted your views before? I could take it back to honda, but confident that they may turn me away, having after market suspension fitted, they could easily blame it on that, even though the car is still within extended warranty.

Has anyone got any idea how much a new subframe would cost? I have a feeling its not cheap!

Any help, would be great help! Thanks in advance!
Mine is the same mate. There is a thread on here that has a Honda document that the dealers get to tell them how to repair common faults like this. I'm going to locate it and print it off and go into the dealers with it as I'm changing my springs soon and want it sorted before I change them

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is the same mate. There is a thread on here that has a Honda document that the dealers get to tell them how to repair common faults like this. I'm going to locate it and print it off and go into the dealers with it as I'm changing my springs soon and want it sorted before I change them
That will be the Sub-Frame Modification (Hint and Tips Sheet)... It doesnt work on all Civic's unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I had the same noise on my old 2006, it turned out to be the subframe which was replaced under warranty. Its a known issue.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
That will be the Sub-Frame Modification (Hint and Tips Sheet)... It doesnt work on all Civic's unfortunately.
Maybe your dealer didn't repair it though. You did say you wouldn't be surprised

·
Geordies!!!!:-):-)
1,839 Posts
i really do think this is what i had with my ctr...i dont trust any dealer after my past experience with a couple of them but after getting on there nerves and giving them enough grief they start to listen...:D

the noise did go away after they replaced the subframe altho the clutch noise is another matter that hasnt gone and drives me mental every morning.:mad:bk to the stealers i go...:D

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe your dealer didn't repair it though. You did say you wouldn't be surprised
Yeah I agree... I will be doing this mod (paying to have it done)... but wanted to go armed with all the other possibilities..

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had the same noise on my old 2006, it turned out to be the subframe which was replaced under warranty. Its a known issue.
I know the subframe is a shocker... But the mod is to release some bolts, re-grease and clean, then re-tighten, or sometimes, just tightening the bolts fixes the issue...

It confuses me to hear that some people are having the WHOLE subframe replaced... Thats crazy! Are you sure thats what they are doing? and not just doing the above.. i.e clean, re-tighten!

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
The Honda bulletin specifically says to just clean and grease the sub frame bolts, no mention of replacing whole subframe.

I had mine done a year ago and all is silent, touch wood.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Honda bulletin specifically says to just clean and grease the sub frame bolts, no mention of replacing whole subframe.

I had mine done a year ago and all is silent, touch wood.
Yeah I know, I agree... that's why I don't know why I am hearing stories (lots of) of people getting the whole subframe replaced under warranty. I believe this maybe a miscommunication between the stealers and the owners.

what there actually doing is cleaning, and re-tightening the subframe bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue, took it to my local dealer who said that it needed a subframe adjustment, I left it with them. A few hours later they'd fixed it free of charge and 10k miles later i've not heard a peep out of it since.

I described it as a noise similar to stepping on a Coke can. You shouldnt have to pay for the fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey All

I noticed a similar noise towards the last part of last week.

It's a creak / 'tap-tick' / metallic flexing sound from what seems the Front whenever there is a change/increase in force. i.e. last few feet of braking to a stop and then again in the first few seconds when pulling away. It also occurs occasionally when turning at low speed. I don't feel it through the floor or the steering wheel but its loud enough to be heard several yards away! I have listened with the windows down, and it can clearly be heard on the outside.

It's a very similar sound to when metal is expanding as it heats or contracting as it cools yet it's happening all the time regardless of the weather or the car's temperature!

I have taken it in to the dealers today, so will let you know what the outcome of it is. Hopefully they will hear it as well, and rectify the problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey All

I noticed a similar noise towards the last part of last week.

It's a creak / 'tap-tick' / metallic flexing sound from what seems the Front whenever there is a change/increase in force. i.e. last few feet of braking to a stop and then again in the first few seconds when pulling away. It also occurs occasionally when turning at low speed. I don't feel it through the floor or the steering wheel but its loud enough to be heard several yards away! I have listened with the windows down, and it can clearly be heard on the outside.

It's a very similar sound to when metal is expanding as it heats or contracting as it cools yet it's happening all the time regardless of the weather or the car's temperature!

I have taken it in to the dealers today, so will let you know what the outcome of it is. Hopefully they will hear it as well, and rectify the problem.
You have precisely described what is my problem too. I am looking to forward to getting some info from about the outcome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have precisely described what is my problem too. I am looking to forward to getting some info from about the outcome.

I took my car in to the dealer left it with them for the day. They said it was the Sub Frame problem.

They did the Sub frame mod, which by my lack of technical knowledge, was simply greasing it up. They did not replace the Sub frame.

I asked if this would resolve the issue long term, and they informed they have done tons of them and have never had one come back. So fingers crossed.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
had mine done last year and all is fine !!

it's bulletin N0 HUK000000001136

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I took my car in to the dealers with the sub frame bulletin but they said that there is a noise but not the sub frame so they now have it for the next 3 days so they can strip down the suspension and find the problem :(

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine can't be heard from yards away as the previous guy said. It's more of an internal noise. Funnily enough, it's not happened for a while until tonight. I'm thinking it could be the front plastic on the outside of the car that holds the window in place, nit sure though. It's starting to happen on the left, but not a clicking noise, more of a plastic rubbing against the window.

Pissing annoying

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cowl is the word I was looking for, the front cowl could be the problem child hear. May try stripping it down and applying some Velcro to the inside and giving it a good clean. The front cowl is not perfectly flush to the window screen in places, which does suggest a problem.

Anyway, confident this will solve the left side, and hoping this will solve the clicking noise also, but not so sure. Still waiting to pay to have the subframe sorted.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts