2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got this? When driving a bit fast in corners, as the body weight shifts and pushes the seat right or left, my seat quite often makes a click or two. Sounds like someting is not fastened tight enough...:( The dealer wasn't able to reproduce it when I mentioned it for them. Maybe I need to tell them to step a bit more on the pedal...:cool:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Anyone got this? When driving a bit fast in corners, as the body weight shifts and pushes the seat right or left, my seat quite often makes a click or two. Sounds like someting is not fastened tight enough...:( The dealer wasn't able to reproduce it when I mentioned it for them. Maybe I need to tell them to step a bit more on the pedal...:cool:

I'm in the same boat, this is exactly what my seat does, my dealer is also unable to replicate. Has anyone managed to fix this yet? It's starting to do my head in! :(

·
Registered
337 Posts
In my CTR something really cracks quite loudly. It sounds like a big old door slowly opening in some scary movie. It seems to be coming from behind the seat close to the bottom. At first I thought it could be the trim but I could swear it does not do it when there is a person seated in the passengers seat.
There are days it really does not make a sound and days when it annoys the hell out of me.
Are we on the same page here or am I describing something else?

PS: I can sometimes hear it best when slowy driving on a very bad road. Our street is gavel and rocks now and when the car shakes and bounces left to right the cracks begin...

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I solved my creaking and I wonder if it's the same problem but sounds different:

Look down the gap between the seat and the centre console. The seat belt anchor is bolted and you will notice a white nylon washer in the proceedings.

I sprayed WD40 (used the long tube) in this area and all creaks gone.

Again, it was one of those noises that sounded like it was coming from somewhere else (seat back) but a pseudo stethoscope (tubing) proved different.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Kremmen,

Thanks will check that out. This morning was a fruitful day for the seat to start its annoying hobby. I quickly pulled over and slid the seat forward. With this I mean in the position where it allows people to go into the back. Not ideal for driving as it moves back and forward but...I didn't hear a single crack along the route (although the roads were of course better than in my street).

I'm getting more confident the seat is the cause but a little more hunting is required:p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If i have a re-adjusted the position of my two front seats ( sliding forth or backwards) then sometimes the mechanism doesnt fully 'bite' and when under heavy braking, the seats suddenly pop in to place, but i guess the problem you are referring to is something else. Never heared anything creaking besides that.
Hope you get it sorted, creaks can drive (hehe) a person mental, lol

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
If i have a re-adjusted the position of my two front seats ( sliding forth or backwards) then sometimes the mechanism doesnt fully 'bite' and when under heavy braking, the seats suddenly pop in to place, but i guess the problem you are referring to is something else. Never heared anything creaking besides that.
Hope you get it sorted, creaks can drive (hehe) a person mental, lol

Well described; I was struggling to put this in to words as you have done - I had this issue , wouldn't call it a problem as such just yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nah that wasn't what I was talking about. This snapping into place thing should only happen once per journey:).

Eventually I will find it. Even if it takes months:p

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi kremmen, any chance of a photo showing where you mean? i have a really weird noise which sounds like its coming from behind my head, almost inside the seat. wondering if this might be the same cause (or at least one place for preventitive measures)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine definitely stops when I tilt the seat so passengers can get in the back. I've tried this method for about 4-6 times now:

* I set off on a trip with the seat in its normal position and hear the cracks. Knowing the road ahead I can easily predict more are to follow so...
* I used to pull over but I'm now able to put the seat in 'let people get in the back' mode while I drive.
* Cracks are gone instantly.

Please note that when you brake heavily the seat will slide forward and make a good clunk. Likewise, when you speed up quickly it will move back again. I usually anticipate this and slow it down a little:). Not ideal for safe driving so pay attention!

Anyway, I should check out Kremmen's idea though as I put the 'thing'* you put the seat belt clip in between the cushion and the back of the seat. If you don't do this it will be pushed against the centre console and _might_ damage it (I know I'm being overly careful;)). So because I always do this, it technically does not rule out Kremmen's idea.

* seat belt anchor as per Kremmen's description.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
hi kremmen, any chance of a photo showing where you mean? i have a really weird noise which sounds like its coming from behind my head, almost inside the seat. wondering if this might be the same cause (or at least one place for preventitive measures)
Just spotted this........

Not sure I can photo it as it's down the recess.

Whilst seated, look down the gap between the seat and the centre console. By pulling your seat side support cushions towards you you can see roughly where the seatbelt anchor is bolted.
On mine, there is a white nylon washer that I pointed the WD40 spray at - and still to date - no creaks or squeaks :)

Basically just try and spray it around the seatbelt anchor point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts