2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Got my Civic Type R (09) around 3 months ago. Love the car just got one slight issue.

I noticed that when ever I accelerate or brake there's a clicking noise from the front of the car. I can feel it in my pedals. I have tested this under the following conditions:

Taking it over speed bumps it does not click
Full left and right lock under normal driving conditions it does not click but as soon as you brake or accelerate it clicks
Basically if you shift the mass of the car you get the clicking noise

After mentioning this to my local Honda dealership around 4 weeks ago when it was in for a major service they said it was my drop links and to come back if it got worse. They told me that as part of the major service all my suspension/drive shaft/important bits had been checked so it wasn't anything to worry about.

Unsatisfied with that diagnosis I researched the hell out of this and found the bulletin for the clicking subframe but noticed this applied to 06-08 models only. I then showed this to the dealership who told me that it applied upto 08 models only but they would try it anyway. Its booked in now to be looked at but just wondering if 09 and onwards type r owners had the same problem.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same, 59 plate and clicked like mad. Following that guide fixed it (for now)

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Good to know there were other 09 sufferers! I will post back tomorrow with an update. Hopefully with good news!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - Back from the dealership with my newly greased/tightened subframe and no clicking! Car feels so much better and solid!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok - Back from the dealership with my newly greased/tightened subframe and no clicking! Car feels so much better and solid!
Well done. And good on you for teaching the dealership something, shows that they can sometimes be wrong. Good result :)

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Will the dealership do this on a 2007 car or is it only cars in warranty? Not sure if they did a recall?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine wasn't under warranty so they charged me £30 for half an hours labour (to be fair I didn't even buy the car from this garage). At that point I was willing to pay anything to get rid of that click!

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's easy enough to do yourself with a set of ramps, the clicking was annoying to say the least.

I also fitted a set of engine mount inserts at the same time which improved the gearchange no end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The sub frame clicks are slowly starting to come back so I've ordered a set of the spoon subframe collars, hopefully that will get rid of them for good.

How easy is it to fit the engine mounts?

Remarkably easy, just remove the 3 engine mount dampers, fit the inserts and refit the bolts. Trickiest one is the front mount but it's not rocket science just need to think about how the bolts come out. Just to note there is some NVH with all three mounts fitted and you get some slight dashboard vibration around 1200rpm. With the top and rear mounts fitted only this vibration goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts