2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as far as topics and posts go I'm a complete amateur. even though I've been a member for some years. Im driving A 2007 type s GT.
My problem is that whenever I turn corners left or right, I get a repetitive clicking noise, coming from what sounds and feels like the front of the car. When I straighten up the sound subsides and goes away. Its worse when turning on a slope.
But I get no noise when stationary.

Heres the thing, its recently been looked at, its had its wheel barring replaced, axel bushes and drop arm ball joint replaced. Im looking for an educated guess at best as to what it could be. Any suggestions would be helpful. Ive got some ideas but was wondering if it could even be something more simple. Its going back in the garage on friday and I was trying to compile a list of possible problems by then

Heres what I have so far

subframe creak / knock,
Ball joints
sway bar
tie rod
shock or the shock mount

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Reverse on full lock left and right. If the clicking is worse it is probably an outer cv joint. If the clicking is when turning slightly right or left this could be inner cv joint drivers side or intermediate shaft. This could also be tie rod ends.
You can visually see your cv joints with a torch under the car.big rubber boots one at the wherl and another inboard. Check the rubber is intact and there is not grease everywhere.
Intermediate sgaft you can see beyond the inner cv on driver side. You may see grease leaking from there very very thick black.
These would be my guess. Can you record the noise and post it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been discussing this on another form and they suggested it could have been the cv joint. I youtubed the way to diagnose it and found this video

Its the exact same sound that I'm getting and the symptoms are the spot on.

Its been recommended that I not drive the car untill I can get it fixed.
And the earliest my mechanic can see me is friday.

Do you also have any idea how much it would cost to fix if it were the case?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
A cv joint failing is not too bad. Euro car parts sell a new drive shaft complete for about 100. A new joint from honda is about 200. I have driven on bad cv joints for a while before and treated them gently. I wouldnt do any huge journeys. Is a pretty simple fix so maybe add 1.5 hours labour.
Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts