2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until very recently, I would always have the climate control set to 21-degrees and leave it alone. It worked perfectly, no problems at all.

In the last week though, the climate control seems to have gone wrong. If it is set at 21-degrees it pumps cold air into the car constantly, making the car much colder than 21-degrees. This happens with the engine is hot or cold. I have to turn it up to 27-28-degrees to keep a reasonable temperature in the cabin.

Outside temperatures here lately have been around 14-17 degrees, so it shouldn't be pumping in freezing cold air to cope with that. Also, even when 'dual' mode is switched off, it is putting colder air to the passenger side than the driver's side.

I tried the diagnostic mode mentioned in the Wiki, and everything looks right (outside temperature, cabin temperature, sunlight sensor, etc) with one possible exception: reading 9 according to the Wiki is vent output air temperature. This was reading 31-degrees when in fact the air coming out of the vents was more like 10-degrees. The cabin was about 20-degrees (I'd just started the engine) and outside temperature 16-degrees.

It sounds like a similar problem to that described in the following thread, but there was never any resolution posted there:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/229-odd-climate-control.html

Does anyone know what it could be? It's well out of warranty so any trip to the dealer is likely to cost substantial ££.

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
Faulty temperature sensor?

System is working correctly for the temperature it reads, it's just the temperature that it reads is wrong => faulty temperature sensor.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I tried the diagnostic mode mentioned in the Wiki, and everything looks right (outside temperature, cabin temperature, sunlight sensor, etc) with one possible exception: reading 9 according to the Wiki is vent output air temperature. This was reading 31-degrees when in fact the air coming out of the vents was more like 10-degrees.
You seemed to have answered your own question there.

My guess would be one of the sensors, either outside, inside or the one stated above is faulty.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is there another temperature sensor somewhere in the vents themselves? As I say, cabin temperature and outside temperature read correctly, it's just the vent temperature that doesn't.

I wasn't sure whether the vent temperature was calculated based on the evaporator temp and some other parameters though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to keep this up to date in case it helps anyone else, the car went in to the Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago because of this problem. They checked the climate control system over and said there is no problem except that it needed a re-gas, which they did.

A few days later it wouldn't blow any cold air at all. Over the last week, with the hot weather, it's been blowing warm/hot air into the cabin when set to "Lo". It is back with the dealer today so they can troubleshoot some more.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
So is there another temperature sensor somewhere in the vents themselves? As I say, cabin temperature and outside temperature read correctly, it's just the vent temperature that doesn't.

I wasn't sure whether the vent temperature was calculated based on the evaporator temp and some other parameters though.
Just to answer this question for you - there is a temperature sensor in the plastic "U" shape that is between the tacho and the steering column.

This piece just pulls out so it's easy to check to see if the plastic hose and the connector are both secure.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To give a conclusion to this thread in case it's ever useful to anyone else, the dealer eventually diagnosed the problem as a faulty a/c compressor that was leaking. The compressor was replaced (£500 inc parts and labour) and the problem solved. However, something up inside the dashboard was left loose and after we got it back there was a very annoying rattle at 3,000rpm, so it had to go back in for some broken clips to be replaced. All is well now.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
To give a conclusion to this thread in case it's ever useful to anyone else, the dealer eventually diagnosed the problem as a faulty a/c compressor that was leaking. The compressor was replaced (£500 inc parts and labour) and the problem solved. However, something up inside the dashboard was left loose and after we got it back there was a very annoying rattle at 3,000rpm, so it had to go back in for some broken clips to be replaced. All is well now.
Hi, this is interesting as I have a similar thing going on in my new 09 civic.

In my previous civic I would leave the temperature on 21degrees with the a/c switched on nearly all the time. The was high enough to provide a comfortable environment in the car.

With the new one I have found that I need keep turning up the temperature to stop cool air flowing through the front vents. Even at 25deg it's not working right.

Looks like I need to make a trip to my dealer to get it looked at. I guess this is covered under the honda happiness warranty..

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Just to answer this question for you - there is a temperature sensor in the plastic "U" shape that is between the tacho and the steering column.

This piece just pulls out so it's easy to check to see if the plastic hose and the connector are both secure.
Isn't it in the grill that is behind the headlight stalk?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts