2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently fitted an alpine double din using the connects2 wiring adapter. For some reason, the steering controls have never worked. I'v triple checked and all wiring is definitely connected correctly incl the alpine patch lead, even heatshrinked all connections.

Problem is now, my clock display has suddenly gone off as if no power is going to that screen!? I've checked various fuses in car and under bonnet but all ok.

Does anyone know if this screen has its own fuse/circuit breaker anywhere?

Could it be the connects2 black box is u/s?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The clock & heater display is controlled through the head unit. When you fit a double din, it's then controlled by the small black box in the connects2 kit. If your steering wheel buttons dont work, the fix is to remove the power plug to the black box for several seconds which normally works. However, your's sounds more terminal.

Did you get your kit through HondaBitz (Impulse)? If so, give Bob a ring and he will help and send you a replacement controller. I would always recommend people buy double din facia kits through Impulse even if it costs a couple more pounds as they are so helpful if you have a problem.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thought it would be that. No got it through caraudiosecurity. They've sent a replacement kit out so I'll give that a try.

I reckon by now I can get that stereo out in record time, this will be my 6th go haha.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the sake of complete-ness and if any search leads you here -

New harness inc control box came today - fitted and everything worked first time. Prob a fault with the black box.

Btw dash apart, stereo out, harness swapped and all in and back together with no scratches - 19mins (yes I did time myself):cool:

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
You're just showing off now!

It took me an hour as I had to remove the centre console again, I couldn't fit all the wiring and traffic receiver etc behind the unit on my Pioneer 940 when I tried bolting it back in.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my car, had a feeling the black box will be the culprit, so will email Hondabitz today and order a new one. Really not looking forward to pulling it all out again.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
i also had this problem, i thought that little box could be the problem too! :facepalm: also bought it from caraudiosecurity, will be sending them an email too

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're just showing off now!

It took me an hour as I had to remove the centre console again, I couldn't fit all the wiring and traffic receiver etc behind the unit on my Pioneer 940 when I tried bolting it back in.
Forgot to mention I do work as a mechanic, albeit for caterpillar plant machines anyway - and it was the 6th YES 6th TIME!! haha

Yeah the wiring was a bit of a pain, but you can kind of wiggle and rearrange it from up behind as you slowly slide the stereo in

The only issue ive got is 1 of the 4 plastic covers on the center console (handbrake part) that cover the screw has a snapped clip and keeps falling out, anywhere I can get a replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
You wouldn't have faired so well with my Pioneer due to the traffic receiver especially as I wanted to give the fan on the back an air gap. It's much better to remove the centre console and pull the cables out through the gap as you slide the headunit in and bolt it down. Doesn't fit as well trying to ram it down on a mass of wiring.

The covers are pennies from a dealer.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
My Si came factory fitted with a F930BT. After couple of months clock faded to almost invisibility. Took her in and they fitted new clock. That blew. So they contacted Honda, seems that there was an issue that could only be solved by fitting a part ( sorry cant remember name) between satnav and clock. Long time to wait for back order from pioneer so gave them my car for a week. (got 2.2 mk 9 to play with) Had part come from Swindon as was now built in on factory floor. Sorry I cant give you the name but Honda needed the number of my unit for retro fit of this little addition.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Didn't Impulse fit the Pioneer 930's for Honda in the SI's?

They would have only replaced the black box as above as Honda also used the connects2 wiring but with their own fascia (which you can also buy from Impulse.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Didn't Impulse fit the Pioneer 930's for Honda in the SI's?

They would have only replaced the black box as above as Honda also used the connects2 wiring but with their own fascia (which you can also buy from Impulse.

It was on the brochure photo so guess fitted at Swindon. And it had it on delivery cos I looked her over on the forecourt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hi guys,i have the same problem on my FN2, i install a 2 din alpine and now the display don t work..i buy the 2 din in ebay,so if i understand i need a adapter to make it work?
Can you help me, what i need to buy?:confused:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
hi guys,i have the same problem on my FN2, i install a 2 din alpine and now the display don t work..i buy the 2 din in ebay,so if i understand i need a adapter to make it work?
Can you help me, what i need to buy?:confused:
Just had a quick look on ebay and this is the sort of thing we're talking about, but please check it's suitable for your car/stereo before buying.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had a quick look on ebay and this is the sort of thing we're talking about, but please check it's suitable for your car/stereo before buying.

Hope this helps
Yes, you will need that harness but also need an 'Alpine patch lead' to retain steering wheel controls. It's a short lead with a connector at one end (goes to black box) and a male aux at the other (same connector as a pair of headphones)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
The clock & heater display is controlled through the head unit. When you fit a double din, it's then controlled by the small black box in the connects2 kit. If your steering wheel buttons dont work, the fix is to remove the power plug to the black box for several seconds which normally works. However, your's sounds more terminal.

Did you get your kit through HondaBitz (Impulse)? If so, give Bob a ring and he will help and send you a replacement controller. I would always recommend people buy double din facia kits through Impulse even if it costs a couple more pounds as they are so helpful if you have a problem.
As stated by myself in this thread too, I was also having trouble with the Clock/Air-Con display not working, and after contacting Bob at Impulse he informed that the black adapter box was covered by a 12 month warranty and told me he could replace it with the latest version of the box a couple of weeks later.

True to his word, Bob got back in touch with me when the new box arrived in stock and dispatched it straight away, and I got round to fitting it earlier on this week, problem solved, my display works properly again :D

I really can't speak highly enough about the level of service I've received and would recommend these guys to anyone thinking of up upgrading their cars electronics [smilie=upyeah.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Most of us advise to buy the connects2 kit through Impulse (Hondabitz) for exactly the reasons you have found. Bob is very helpful and there is no problem he hasn't seen. You may save a couple of pence buying off ebay but you wont get the support.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Hi all,

Just reading up on this as I have also had issues with an Alpine double din set up and he Connects2 kit. Fitted it all yesterday and all seemed fine, steering controls worked, no problem with the clock display. However, after about 15 minutes my headunit went off as if it wasn't receiving any power. I assumed that it must be a loose connection even though I was fairly certain I'd checked them all. About another 15 minutes after that I noticed that although my clock was still working, it was very dim. Got to where I was going, parked up and went to the match. Came back a couple of hours later, started the car and the head unit came on for about 10 seconds, then died again. Clock display working, but again very dim. So I've taken the dash to bits this morning and all the connections are secure. However, upon trying it this morning the clock appeared completely dead. Undid and reconnected everything, same result. Went and got the original OEM head unit, connected that back up and everything works as it should. So it looks like my Connects2 box is goosed as well. I got mine from Car Audio Direct who are usually pretty good, so I'll ask them for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Make sure you check the cables going into the plugs of the connects 2 harness as when I initially fitted mine I found a yellow wire that had either not been inserted into the plug properly/ pulled out by the cable tie being tightened around the loom far too close to the plug.

This could possibly give the symptoms you've described even off all the plugs are fitted correctly to the stereo.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I got this sorted, only recently managed to finally reinstall everything due to work and not having any daylight to work in! All working now, looks like it was the Connects2 box. However I do agree with your point about checking all connections - I had issues in the past that have come down to a single dodgy wire or plug. Its always worth spending an extra couple of minutes checking that everything is connected correctly, any unused wires are taped up and everything is secure - can save a hell of a lot of frustration later!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts