2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Locking car without activating alarm?

My Civic (59 diesel, post-lift) came with factory fitted alarm.
When I close the central locking using the remote fob, doors lock and alarm activates.

In all my previous cars, if I wanted to lock the doors, but not activate alarm, I could always lock them manually by turning the door lock with the key. Usually central locking still worked, but alarm didn't activate.

Unfortunately in my Civic, even if I lock the doors manually, alarm activates.

Is there any way to lock the car without activating the alarm?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
My Civic (59 diesel, post-lift) came with factory fitted alarm.
When I close the central locking using the remote fob, doors lock and alarm activates.

In all my previous cars, if I wanted to lock the doors, but not activate alarm, I could always lock them manually by turning the door lock with the key. Usually central locking still worked, but alarm didn't activate.

Unfortunately in my Civic, even if I lock the doors manually, alarm activates.

Is there any way to lock the car without activating the alarm?
You have to pull on external drivers door handle lever and while holding it click the red internal door catch on the same door.
Shut door whilst still holding the external handle.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Doesn't the manual state you can press the lock button three times to lock the car, but not enable the alarm?

Something like that anyway.

Edit: Actually I'm inventing features.

The correct procedure is as stated above.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. This works.
I actually never looked up car manual for that. I went through manual when I bought my car, but I must have missed the alarm stuff. Now I read the centra locking and alarm stuff throughly. Some things are not that clear there, but in general I learnt a lot.

Anyway - Looks like there were cars equipped with alarm with ultrasonic sensor or cars without this sensor. This is the yoke responsible for detecting any movement inside the car I assume. My car has it.

So when you lock the door with key fob remote or door lock, alarm activates together with ultrasonic sensor. You can only disable alarm with remote. It's impossible to disable it with key in door lock, even though you can activate it like that.

Looks like solution shown by tomtank62 still activates the alarm, but doesn't activate ultrasonic sensor.
So in other words - you can keep someone or something in the car (f.e. a dog), and alarm won't turn on the siren.
But if you open the doors without deactivating alarm with remote key fob, alarm will start buzzing.

Only way to lock the car without activating alarm completely, seems to be doing it from the inside with lock tab or master door lock switch.
But you can not do it being outside that car.
So it looks like, it is possible to lock the car without activating ultrasonic sensor, but alarm on doors will still be on.

So I still have 2 questions:

1. Is there any way to lock it from outside without activating alarm at all?
2. How does the alarm work. It's not really mentioned anywhere in the manual. Does ultrasonic sensor only detect movement inside the car, or something else as well? Does the alarm (beside ultrasonic sensor) only work on doors - meaning it only starts the siren when doors are opened, or it might activate on any other event? Like vibrations, sudden movements, etc, ?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Dont you just lock the car with the key to lock without priming the alarm
I read something about this in the manual when I checked, but I think it still activates the alarm. I will look again.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont you just lock the car with the key to lock without priming the alarm
No. This still activates alarm.
Solution shown by tomtank62 (locking it with inside door lock tab and holding outside handle pressed at the same time) works partially, as it doesn't activate ultrasonic sensor, but still activates alarm on doors (and possibly something else - maybe if car is hit or kicked alarm will go on - I don't know).

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
No. This still activates alarm.
Solution shown by tomtank62 (locking it with inside door lock tab and holding outside handle pressed at the same time) works partially, as it doesn't activate ultrasonic sensor, but still activates alarm on doors (and possibly something else - maybe if car is hit or kicked alarm will go on - I don't know).
The Civic doesn't have such sensors, just internal (ultrasonic), and door sensors, including boot and bonnet.

If you kick it, alarm will not go off.

If someone hits your front end it may go off due to the bonnet being buckled and therefore switch opened.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Civic doesn't have such sensors, just internal (ultrasonic), and door sensors, including boot and bonnet.

If you kick it, alarm will not go off.

If someone hits your front end it may go off due to the bonnet being buckled and therefore switch opened.
Great.
Thanks for that info.
So if my car gets hit in the parking by someone reversing, alarm won't sound the siren, right?

Does anyone know how ultrasonic sensor work? Does it only react to movement inside or something else?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Great.
Thanks for that info.
So if my car gets hit in the parking by someone reversing, alarm won't sound the siren, right?

Does anyone know how ultrasonic sensor work? Does it only react to movement inside or something else?
That is correct as far as I know, but it does depend on the force of the impact, it could either release the boot slightly, in which case that would set the alarm off, or if you have something in your car it could move sufficiently to set the ultrasonic sensors off.

The ultrasonic sensors measure distance to objects, so they are set off when the distance reading changes, usually from something, or someone, moving inside the car. The manual states if you leave the windows open they may be triggered also.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts