2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else having to really slam the tailgate to close it or is there a knack to it ,car going in next week for rear parking sensors fitted ,will be asking them to take a look at it .

·
Veedub
475 Posts
I have had my car in twice over the past month, firstly they adjusted the rubber adjusters, the second time they had it in the workshop for about an hour. (To do what exactly?)I then drove into town and had reason to go back into the boot, more multi slamming to get it shut................ It's going back as this is basic stuff

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
It's more of a firm shut that is required, rather than a slam :D

Slamming it causes it to bounce on the rubber bungs, not quite giving the lock time to do it's thing :)

on mine anyway :)

The airtight interior in new cars doesn't help either

screwing the bungs right in usually fixes it :)

but not always by the sounds of this thread :(

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
No problems here - yes a firm push is required
but nothing to energetic

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Numerous times I've been about to drive off when I've noticed the warning that the tailgate is not fully closed. Slamming tends to do the trick, so thanks for the info about the bungs!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Yep, my experience is the same as TTDegs and Brodick's, a firm push all that is required. Slamming it just makes it bounce! When I first got the car I adjusted all of the bungs, including the doors and they all now shut with a quality thud.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had this problem when I first got the car. I certainly found that leaving a door/window open before closing the hatch made a difference, so the air pressure explanation must have something to do with it (at least in my case). I have found that it is very rarely an issue now & I haven't adjusted the rubber bungs, so perhaps something needed to bed in as well.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Yep, my experience is the same as TTDegs and Brodick's, a firm push all that is required. Slamming it just makes it bounce! When I first got the car I adjusted all of the bungs, including the doors and they all now shut with a quality thud.

Wouldn't call my door closer noise a thud.

Rather a very satisfying 'click'.

The best door closing noise than I've had on any previous car.

Seems sort of 'posh'.

"The best computer is the one that comes on the market 5 days after you've just bought one!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I have an annoying rattle coming from the boot when going over bumps etc. I was wondering if anyone knows how to realign the tailgate and if possible could they inform me as to what they mean by bungs to adjust as this could help (What are the bungs?)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi there I have an annoying rattle coming from the boot when going over bumps etc. I was wondering if anyone knows how to realign the tailgate and if possible could they inform me as to what they mean by bungs to adjust as this could help (What are the bungs?)
I have no issue closing the tailgate but have the occasional rattle from the boot on some poor road surfaces. Haven't investigated yet but doesn't sound too major, somehow sounds like the jack or the tyre-inflator pack is slightly loose in its cubby.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
When you open the boot, you will find two rubber 'bumpers' on the bottom corners of the boot lid.
About the diameter of a 10p piece, and about 2cm thick.
These are the 'bungs', and they screw in and out.

Screwing them out makes it harder to get the boot to close, but can help stop rattles.

Realigning the boot door itself, whilst not a common problem, isn't unknown,
and should be left to a dealer to do.

Hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
This is funny. In the winter the tail gate wont open well enough and in the summer it opens too well. :D
The idea there is that in the winter you don't get so much rain down your neck when you open the tail gate.

It's not so bad in the summer 'cos they reckon that you'll soon dry off!

"Wow! Last night I fell asleep on my Satellite Dish.
My dreams were broadcast all over the world!"

Charles H.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
This is funny. In the winter the tail gate wont open well enough and in the summer it opens too well. :D
Found the same myself, I thought in winter there is not enough gas in the rams, but in the summer there is too much, obviously just heat and cold and bloody Boyles law, hot = more pressure and volume, cold = less.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
My dealer told me that the rubber beds down over a period of time. I think he was onto something as in the three months I've owned it, the boot has become easier to shut though you still need to be firm.

·
Rusty Nut!
614 Posts
My other half NEVER manages to shut it right he, we drove 12 miles with him driving before I leaned across and saw the boot was open on the dash... it was only the second time he'd driven it but I still shouted at him LOL! He either slams it making it bounce open or does it too lightly and it doesnt close

I dont have a problem to be honest but it might be worth having a look at adjusting it cos he gets really annoyed and ends up slamming it repeatedly causing a row *how dare he put his hands on my car*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts