2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this thread is in the wrong place!

Civic 06 5DR (MK8) 1.8L

As the title suggests, my car has developed a "clunking/banging" noise over the past week and it appears to be getting gradually worse. It really sounds like something heavy is hitting something equally as heavy (if that makes sense) not like a clicking, but a proper "clunk"
Only apparent when going over speed bumps, ruts, and generally when the car is going over largish bumps.

History:
Had both front droplinks and both front shocks replaced approx 5 weeks ago due to wear.
Inspected the shock mount rubber plates and bolts, all tight and no movement on either side there.
Also had the tracking done yesterday (04.12.14) and asked ATS to have a good luck to see if there is anything loose or any obvious reason for the clunking whilst she was on the ramp!

Bit stumped now... any suggestions on what else I can check etc?

Thanks in advance!

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
welcome to the forum, you say the drop link were changed were originals or pattern parts used ? the sound you are experiencing suggests either bump stops or drop links ,i have known cheap drop links fail within a month..

edit and above yes check first..

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
welcome to the forum, you say the drop link were changed were originals or pattern parts used ? the sound you are experiencing suggests either bump stops or drop links ,i have known cheap drop links fail within a month..

edit and above yes check first..
I've just replaced the ARB bushes on mine and the clunk noise sounded EXACTLY the same as failing drop links. I could not find play in any of the ball joints, nor play in the ARB bushes. What it must have been doing is, when the suspension leg on one side was compressed, the ARB must have been pulled slightly through the bushes by a small amount then there was enough force to release it. A kind of stick slip motion causing a clunk. Once I changed the bushes, the noise went.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh Ok, so hopefully not as drastic as I thought (I'm imagining loose engine mounts etc...)

deni.babe Droplinks are genuine Honda, look in good condition.

I replaced both front shocks myself and the bump stops looked in good condition, along with the coil springs. I cleaned them up and fitted to the new shocks.

I will add that while fitting the OSF(same side as the clunking noise) shock, I really struggled getting the new shock bottom bolts to align with the wishbone, in the end I had to carefully clamp the shock and wishbone together while raising the whole wheel assy to align, it went in the end, but man it was tight!! NSF went in a doddle.

I am now thinking if this new clunking nose is anything to do with this tightness? and the ARB bushes?

Forgive me, this is my first Honda.

Thanks in advance

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
it could be linked with clamping and raising the wheel at the same time stressed the bush causing a bit of play in it ,i would replace the arb bushes and let us know how it is after, good luck mate..
Agreed

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Did the bushes sort the clunking noise?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Ok parts finally arrived! fitted today and all seems well. Reasonably easy to change, wheels being off made a big difference! So thank you guys :)

One question though, I took 2 photos of the old units and what I would consider in good condition? I half expected them to be cracked / perished... but they look in good nic, just hope the issue was the bushes and not something else!

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Mine were the same mate. I had a lever bar on them and there was no play. Has it cured the clunking now?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if yours were the same then it brings some relief. But yeh, clunking noise gone, along with a clicking noise when I apply the brakes hard then pull away... think this clicking was on a honda bulletin. Thanks for your help guys

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
No problems. I didn't believe mine were worn either. I wonder how many other civic owners are having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Yeah mine clunks over speed bumps or uneven roads, ive replaced the drop links last month and it's still there, Ive ordered some new bushes from honda. Mines on 42k

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Obviously a common problem on the mk8's couple hours for me to replace, me being an amateur that is...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, just got home after a late shift, driving the car and I'm sure the clunking noise is back, same clunk just not as much as before... its still apparent and seems to have re appeared? No noise coming from nsf... so I would say something is not right... any ideas what else to check?

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Only other things I can suggest check the usual, all ball joints, strut top mounts and the rest of the bushes. Theres not an awful lot to go wrong really.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok,

Replaced the O/S droplink for new.
Replaced both ARB Bushes for new,

Noise is better, however something still sounds loose/worn!

Have checked the top suspension mounts, theyre nice and tight.

Would anyone advise not to replace all the bushes in the front O/S assy?

Can anyone point out what bushes I need? Can only find this: but its not a great help....http://www.lingshondaparts.com/HPL/Images_car/17SMG601/imge/B__2700.jpg

Thanks in advance!:popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts