2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just today found out that my clutch failed due to the dual mass flywheel being worn. They said something about the rubber having worn out or perished. I looked into dual mass flywheel design and apparently there are rubber springs. Is this correct?

Since I'm now shelling out an extra £800 or more for a new DMF on top of the clutch, how should I drive to preserve the life of the parts?

Also, what considerations are there for bedding in the clutch?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Just drive considerately and as smooth as you can.

Dual mass flywheels are the latest thing to reduce vibration and give us a quiet drive.

VW, Ford etc all fit them on diesels so that the clutch does not have to absorb so much vibration and the gearbox has an easier life.

They act like a cushion and as you say use rubber/springs between each half of the flywheel.

The downside is that they wear out and cannot be resurfaced like a solid flywheel.

In the god old days all the cushioning was done by springs in the clutch, so that was the only bit you had to change.

The really bad bit is Honda charging £800, this should be much less as it is almost a service item.....

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Just drive considerately and as smooth as you can. +1

Dual mass flywheels are the latest thing to reduce vibration and give us a quiet drive. +1

VW, Ford etc all fit them on diesels so that the clutch does not have to absorb so much vibration and the gearbox has an easier life. +1

They act like a cushion and as you say use rubber/springs between each half of the flywheel.

The downside is that they wear out and cannot be resurfaced like a solid flywheel.

In the god old days all the cushioning was done by springs in the clutch, so that was the only bit you had to change. +1

The really bad bit is Honda charging £800, this should be much less as it is almost a service item.....The price is mad, but it's almost 8 hours labour to swap a clutch & flywheel in the diesel... Certainly not 'almost a service item'!

DMF SHOULD last the life-span of the car, unfortunately, they dont...
A rough driver will see 50k (less if modified or really harsh on the gearbox with fast set-offs or spinning the wheels etc)
A gentle driver will see no issue, unless they get a 'bad item' which would be warrenty work.

Reactions: bedalus

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
That said a better dmf would be preferable.....
IMO That should be very high on manufacturers priorites.
Whether it is? That's questionable :p

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Not that we should have to :(

:worms:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've just today found out that my clutch failed due to the dual mass flywheel being worn. They said something about the rubber having worn out or perished. I looked into dual mass flywheel design and apparently there are rubber springs. Is this correct?

Since I'm now shelling out an extra £800 or more for a new DMF on top of the clutch, how should I drive to preserve the life of the parts?

Also, what considerations are there for bedding in the clutch?
What's your mileage?
How often do u accelerate hard from a standing start ?
How often do u apply the throttle suddenly for max acceleration?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car had 100k on it when we got it and I do about 1000 a month. I accelerate about the same as whoever else is around, I try not to be aggressive. I never floor it. I overtake sensibly.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Sounds like your driving style if fine.
I expect any damage occurred in the first 100k which wasn't you.
Still 100k is still not bad life for a clutch and DMF, so it must have been treated reasonably.
I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket boys to come up with a solid flywheel replacement for the Honda DM?

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
its nearly there cg have one underway but do not recommend it for anything other than track use, its under a grand for an uprated clutch with new dmf fitted from cg i would consider this option before honda as it gives you flexibility, as for the driving characteristics you need to pull away as though its a petrol but thats the only difference and mines not even bedded in yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts