2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 1.8 just behind the rad fans in the middle is that the clutch bleed nipple? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
It certainly looks like it, have you popped the black rubber cap off the top to check it looks similar to a brake bleed nipple?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It certainly looks like it, have you popped the black rubber cap off the top to check it looks similar to a brake bleed nipple?
Yes it has a rubber cap and defo a bleed nipple. Ill be replacing my clutch fluid soon so need to be sure.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,311 Posts
Yes it has a rubber cap and defo a bleed nipple. Ill be replacing my clutch fluid soon so need to be sure.

There's a guide on here somewhere on how to do it an I'm sure it can be a pig of a job to get pressure back... Never done it myself but read on here a while back that someone had problems...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the job yesterday on my own, was very easy, that is indeed the bleed nipple!. I used a one man bleeder kit with valve, my fluid was very black with black bits in it, used 750ml for a full flush and now the fluid is very clear, took it for a run and wow what a differnce. Honestly do yours it makes a differnce!.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did the job yesterday on my own, was very easy, that is indeed the bleed nipple!. I used a one man bleeder kit with valve, my fluid was very black with black bits in it, used 750ml for a full flush and now the fluid is very clear, took it for a run and wow what a differnce. Honestly do yours it makes a differnce!.
Great to hear. Did you depress the pedal rapidly, gently or a mix of both? Will need to do mine soon as is pretty skanky, and have heard both quick and steady methods being used.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great to hear. Did you depress the pedal rapidly, gently or a mix of both? Will need to do mine soon as is pretty skanky, and have heard both quick and steady methods being used.
Did my brothers and did it gently. With the pedal up, open the nipple and get ** buddy to press down the pedal and hold it down. Close the nipple and get ** buddy to pull the pedal back up... repeat....repeat etc

Make sure to keep the clutch reservoir filled up so as not to allow air to enter. You could also suck out the reservoir so that new fluid enters the system faster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I boiught a cheap ebay vacuum kit to do my type r and my 2.2, works great and is also excellent for bleeding the fuel filter after service on the diesel!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
..., took it for a run and wow what a differnce. Honestly do yours it makes a differnce!.
Morning Ellis - Can I ask you what prompted you to bleed it and what difference you noticed afterwards?

I've never got on with the clutch in my 1.8. I lurch and kangaroo between gear changes like a learner on his first day

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Morning Ellis - Can I ask you what prompted you to bleed it and what difference you noticed afterwards?

I've never got on with the clutch in my 1.8. I lurch and kangaroo between gear changes like a learner on his first day
Sorry to jump on this thread, but over time brake and clutch fluid (dependent on type used) absorbs water and all will also break down it's viscosity over time too, especially if exposed to heat it does it quicker (If cylinder is on top of gearbox next to engine for example). This will mean you need to press harder and further on the clutch and brake pedals to make them work. You will get a soft spongy feel before things begin to work.

By replacing the clutch fluid you will get a firm feel back and things will engage quicker, a good way to know if it needs replacing is if it is dirty and doesn't look a wee colour (unless using some of the coloured performance versions) :)

The kits mentioned above are excellent for doing it on your own, I use a Gunson Eezibleed kit which works off tyre pressure to push the fluid through so that you do not have to pump the pedal to bleed anything, just release the bleed nipple once all connected up and lock off once done.

Hope that's of some use

Cheers
Dave

Reactions: Farqui

·
CTR
538 Posts
On the Type R is there a drain plug that can be unscrewed to drain the old oil out of will a bleed kit just suck out all the old oil from the bleed nipple?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
The kit I use attaches to the reservoir and push the new fluid through the system and out of the bleed nipple.

·
CTR
538 Posts
cheers mate - I bought Vizibleed Brake And Clutch Bleeding Kit from Amazon, don't think it attaches to the reservoir but just to the nipple. Need to check when I get it..

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
No worries

If it attaches to the reservoir, make sure you have a good fit as it may be universal like mine and uses straps to hold it in place and takes seating correctly to work. I am going to buy a second proper reservoir cap and modify it so it a good seal. But I have to say, It makes bleeding brakes and clutches etc very easy and a one man job.

·
CTR
538 Posts
Done the change and what a difference, the only gripe I have is the bite is a little higher than it was. Do you think bleeding it again would make a difference?

·
Enjoying life
8,564 Posts
Changing the fluid brought the bite up? I'm going to gravity bleed mine.

·
CTR
538 Posts
Yeah, well at least I think so. Maybe it's just me, might need to bleed it more just to be sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Hi at what point do you change clutch fluid? Please

·
Super Moderator
1,404 Posts
If it doesn't look clear and golden do it now.
After that every 2/3 years

1 - 20 of 25 Posts