2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some DOT 4 fluid to bleed the clutch tomorrow, any recommendations or does it not matter?

Ta.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:laugh2: Nobody changed theirs?

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta. Got some DOT 4 Comma. 5 litres :laugh2:
Notice a difference? My gear changes can be stiff at high rpm.

·
Super Moderator
2,119 Posts
not much to say really you can buy your average off the shelf stuff or go for some over priced "race high boiling point" stuff
but lets face it even hard road use your not gonna need expensive race grade fluid

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Meant to say any dot 4 should be ok!
Just used some paid stuff from euro car parts.
Best to use fresh fluid from a sealed container.
Not sure if you are aware, brake/ clutch fluid I'd hydroscopic, absorbs moisture, don't use any part bottles that you have had standing about.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Ta. Got some DOT 4 Comma. 5 litres :laugh2:
Notice a difference? My gear changes can be stiff at high rpm.
Massive difference when done, feel and pressure is better, smoother too.

5 litres should just be about enough to do the brakes too....!!!!!!

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Balls :laugh2:

Road use only, I'll do my brakes and the missus car too. Will it be OK stood for a week?

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I'll stick my new motor mounts on, that may help gear change.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
A week or 2 will be fine, it's only if it has been months it becomes contaminated.

When I did my clutch I did use about a litre, that was only because I wanted to try and flush the system out, inside of the fluid reservoir had green slime in it, was really grim.

When you do the brakes, start with the drivers side front, then passenger front, passenger rear, then drivers rear... No idea why... It is the recommended sequence on a Honda.

·
CTR
538 Posts
Just done mine at the weekend - used Honda MTF, changed the gearbox oil as well, what a difference

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been thinking about the whole contaminated issue with a part used bottle on the shelf, surely the same would apply to the fluid put in the lines? It's been exposed to air and every time the expansion tank is opened up? :confused:
Just trying to understand :smile3:

·
Super Moderator
2,119 Posts
you are correct in thinking over time the fluid in the lines will get a certain amount of moisture in it
but were talking a few years rather than weeks or months

never actually used it so far but ive read a few articles recomending 5.1 brake fluid as its compatable with dot 3 and dot 4 but its rating is as good as dot 5 which isnt recomended for some cars but has better performance

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm gonna do it next weekend, then do the brakes with the same stuff in a few weeks, I'm sure it will be OK. Unless someone is passing Swindon and wants some free DOT 4 (I bought 5 litres :laugh2:)
I found the clutch bleed nipple, it's on the slave behind the radiator fan :facepalm8:

·
Registered
116 Posts
clutch fluid - Is there such stuff? It's never been changed as far as i know in either of my type-R's. Is it a service item?

I got gear selection difficulties in my FN2. Crunchy going up 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. fine for the rest except 5-6 at high revs. Non crunchy coming down the box in any gear.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's the same stuff, it degrades over time.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
clutch fluid - Is there such stuff? It's never been changed as far as i know in either of my type-R's. Is it a service item?

I got gear selection difficulties in my FN2. Crunchy going up 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. fine for the rest except 5-6 at high revs. Non crunchy coming down the box in any gear.
Worth doing your gearbox oil too whilst you're at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts