2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the clutch put into the car. Originally started slipping around march with a remap and was fine after map unistalled but knew it was only matter of time. Got a new orig Honda clutch for £200 and had Honda Chief mechanic install for me on his own time for £180 . Bargain me thinks. However he did say that there was quite alot of movement in the flywheel when he checked. Most people do them both at the same time.

Thing is I was under impression that the clutch was the main issue in these and not the flywheel. Now I'm freakjn out in case that goes within the next year. Will that mean a new clutch again?

Also difficult to change gear at times now without almost depressing the clutch pedal through the Whole footwell. Does it take time just to bed in or will this always be the case . should I take it back to mechanic?

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
False economy just doing the clutch and forsaking DMF - and certainly if you intend on keeping the car for the forseeable future. Best to bite the bullet and renew the flywheel whilst everything is out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A decent mechanic would have told you, and if necessary showed you the excessive movement in the DMF whilst it was apart, and let you decide what you wanted to do. Chief mechanic at a Honda dealership means nothing these days I'm afraid.

·
Registered
827 Posts
DMF should be covered by warranty ... it's a known issue with the 2.2 i-CTDI engine causing the clutch to slip !

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As long as he checked the DMF for freeplay according to Honda tech bulletins (From memory it's anywhere between 6mm-36mm) then it should be ok. DMF problems are (believe it or not) not that common the Accord, but not unheard of either.

Clutch biting point will be a little lower but should be soft and progressive. If it's hard to engage in gear, I would ask if he changed the clutch fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts