2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I posted on here a while back about my horrible creeky clutch pedal. Only to find out this is a very common problem. Today it has been cured,hooray:eek: At a cost of £230 fitted to me [smilie=crying.gif] The part was £180.The complete clutch pedal box assembly was changed by my local mechanic. He has done this before and says its very common.The garage which rents his forcourt said that every civic they have sold has come back for this.He contacted Honda and told them this and that really they should replace it free of charge as they no this is a problem.They declined. My mech has told me its the nylon bush that the pedal pivets on that is the problem.Honda do not sell this part separately,hmm,i wonder why? Although my mechanic said it would be almost impossible to change anyway. My clutch is now smooth and creek free and I am a very happy bunny.How long it will last remains to see? Ime not sure if its an improved nylon bush or if its the same as before,time will tell I guess? Hope this may help anyone with the same problem?

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem...it is getting annoying these days. But im in hong kong, and not much mech fix fn2 as there is less than 20 in town as fd2 is much more famous.

The sound obviously came from the clutch pedal, each time i step or release it, it creeks. The slower i step/release, the louder the noise.......help!!! ><

What can i do to get rid of it? Change the whole pedal box? The issue is that mech in hong kong doesnt know what pedal box is, and i guess no one in here could provide me a chinese name of it...haha. is it possible to share the pic of your pedal box? So i could show to the local mech and get it changed. Many thanks!!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have the same problem...it is getting annoying these days. But im in hong kong, and not much mech fix fn2 as there is less than 20 in town as fd2 is much more famous.

The sound obviously came from the clutch pedal, each time i step or release it, it creeks. The slower i step/release, the louder the noise.......help!!! ><

What can i do to get rid of it? Change the whole pedal box? The issue is that mech in hong kong doesnt know what pedal box is, and i guess no one in here could provide me a chinese name of it...haha. is it possible to share the pic of your pedal box? So i could show to the local mech and get it changed. Many thanks!!
Sound to me that it's the clutch master cylinder that's at fault on your car.
I haven't had the pedal box problem on mine but I've been lead to believe that it makes a clicking noise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sound to me that it's the clutch master cylinder that's at fault on your car.
I haven't had the pedal box problem on mine but I've been lead to believe that it makes a clicking noise.
+1. From what I read in the Customer Service (can't remember exact name, tried searching on the Forum but can't find it at the mo) Bulletin, it's the clutch master cylinder that is causing the squeaking clutch in my car too. So when saw suffolkboy's post above, confused me a bit.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. My clutch now feels one hundred times better. No creeks or squeaks any more and feels so much smoother. It feels like a new clutch. I mentioned the master cylinder to my mech and he said that it wasnt the problem and that it is a nylon pivet on the pedal box which you cant replace or remove and gets dry and other debris inside it. Hes done several as a large car dealer rents part of his forecourt and he has done three other civics for them with the same problem after they were returned by customers. Two of them had been sent to Honda and all they did was grease them which lasted only a few days.Benson coolall I can say is the complete clutch pedal box was replaced. That was the clutch pedal and the metal frame for a better word that it sits in. The mechanic showed me the old one which he removed. From Honda this was £180 and he charged me £40 for fitting. Hope this may help others?

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks so much for your advice. I had it greased last week, and the noise disappeared completly for one whole day. I was very excited and happy, thought the nightmare is finally gone. But yst when i drove it, it started to creek again, definitely more quiet than before, but, again....looks like the only solution is to change the clutch pedal...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hello, I own a 2006 civic, since new, I have in the early days had a new master cylinder every year under warranty, I still keep up the warranty just in case, because around 3 years ago, they replaced the pedal box, no noise since that day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Suffolkboy for the update :D. I'm still perplexed though because the Bulletin from Honda said the opposite regarding what fixed which sound, like what Monstermind said.

I drove the car yesterday and no creaking noise from the clutch!! It seems in hot weather everything is quieter, parts being a bit warmer.

Ticker2, (new clutch master cylinder every year, eek!) what noise did you have for the master cylinder to be replaced? And what noise for the pedal box to be replaced?

I checked all the paperwork for my Civic and no record of clutch repairs / parts replacement.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
The noise was a creaking sound when the clutch pedal was being used, every time the Master cylinder was replace, the creaking went away for around 10 to 13 months or so then returned, they did on one visit grease the pedal box, they explained that the pedal box is two plates of metal welded and the creaking was movement in the structure, so they forced grease between these plates on one visit, the noise did go away but not for long maybe a few months, then they said they now have new design of pedal box to stop the noise, I was sceptical, but once this was replaced no more creaking.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The noise was a creaking sound when the clutch pedal was being used, every time the Master cylinder was replace, the creaking went away for around 10 to 13 months or so then returned, they did on one visit grease the pedal box, they explained that the pedal box is two plates of metal welded and the creaking was movement in the structure, so they forced grease between these plates on one visit, the noise did go away but not for long maybe a few months, then they said they now have new design of pedal box to stop the noise, I was sceptical, but once this was replaced no more creaking.
This is interesting. A new design pedal box :police:. How long ago did you have that replaced? How much did they charge?
Hm I am :confused:.

Edit: sorry you did say 3 years ago :)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I had then and still do have extended warranty, so there was no charge for the work or any parts used.
My car is an 1.8 EX petrol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts