2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to cars only been driving my 1st car 2.2 idtec for coming 2 years now. Am learning and doing as much as i can but was unaware of how to catch this problem.

What happened is I noticed 2 days ago my 1st to second shift felt very odd as if the clutch wasn't disconnecting from the rotation (even thought it was fully depressed) and it was grinding going into second. All other gears were ok so figured since it was only on cold starts that is was just the car adjusting to the colder weather. Well needless to say I was wrong.
Started a 3 hour drive yesterday morning and 30 mins in at 100kph engine check light comes on. Then traction control warning light followed few seconds later by steering symbol warning which came with a vibration through the wheel. So hazards and into the hard shoulder where i discovered the clutch fluid was completely empty under the bonnet.. little wet where the seal leads out of the reservoir so guess it was from there although from what I understand this is usually caused from the slave cylinder holding too much pressure and causing the rubber to wear and leak quicker.

I thought maybe the recent new mechanic had maybe damaged it while doing the other fluid or something, but apparently the first sign is a bit of give in the brakes before they catch on the wheel (almost like those old worn bike brakes where u needed a bit more pressure to get the bite). Anyway that brake thing has been an issue for a while but previous mechanic was useless and he checked them ages ago and said they were fine..so anyone not used to car issues this is one to remember save you breaking down on the side of the road with such a simple problem. Could have had this checked and fixed months ago if I knew this now.

Has anyone else had this on such a new car?

Also the car wouldn't start after I checked the engine just chugging but wouldn't catch, anyone confirm whether that's just a safety feature since the car could tell it was out of a fluid?

Would appreciate any feedback on those last questions, Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could be anything here. Depends how competent you are with any of this. Myself I would be doing a fluid bleed on the brakes and clutch, clean up your leak/spill? And see how that is. That's the cheap option to start if doing yourself. Car might be in limp mode but doesn't sound right if its lumpy, normally just feels like reduced power from my experience.

You really need to get a fault reader on it to see what its throwing up. Does it have much in the way of service history? What mileage etc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, to add. If your saying lumpy when trying to pull away, the clutch wont work without fluid, and a top up wont fix it. It needs a bleed to get the air out. However if it's been fine and now empty it does sound like you have a problem. Could be anywhere from the gear box back but if you dont know how to deal with brake and clutch fluid bleeds you need a competent mechanic. It's not worth playing with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply.

Unfortunately the cars been in the shop for last 2 weeks now and mechanic ( whom im not sure of at all, since all this hassle started 3 days after i first had him work on the car) has ruled all out except the fuel rail pressure sensor so once we get that in hopefully its the culprit.

However 3 days before the intermittent gear grind i had the mechanic do a full bleed and refill of coolant and fluid so i think he didn't do it right and there may be air. what you're saying could very well be the source of that and not necessarily the clutch slipping. He may have knocked against a sensor or something also so waiting a few more days then will have the car towed to my old mechanic who's insanely expensive but is a uniquely talented dude.

I do the general services myself every 10k but didn't want to mess with fluids in case i made a balls of it. turns out i might have done a better job then this lad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Decent mechanics can be a bit more expensive, but then if someones cheap there is normally a good reason unfortunately. If they were meant to have done a brake and clutch fluid bleed and its been low then that certainly doesn't look right. Fuel pressure issue could obviously cause the jerking problem, not sure if the clutch being bad might throw the sensor or not but sounds like you need someone decent to give it the once over first.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
As I just posted in the other thread, the cost for a clutch fluid change at Honda is only £35 - Fixed price. It's probably worth taking it to them for a change given the issues you're having!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts