2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a few issues getting the car into gear, either when cold or when in vtec once the car is warmed. I have a short shifter on but don't think it's that as it was doing it before. It's not that bad but it happens now and then. From reading I think it's likely to mean a new clutch, but I have no heavy pedal, bite is just below halfway down, no slip.
Car is on 87k and no record of clutch change, transmission fluid or clutch fluid change. I'll start with the fluid changes this weekend and see what happens. I'm getting a kind of metal disc stopping noise when I turn the engine off, flywheel?
Would changing the gear bushes help?
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Had issues with awkward shifting on my fn2, also with a short shifter , in vtec, have fitted poly bush engine mount inserts, nice and crisp now.
If you have metallic noises and no slip, possibly a duff release bearing.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch release bearing will make me buy a new clutch (same labour). I've got an upper gearbox mount insert (polybush) in the garage. I'll do things one at a time, starting with transmission fluid change on Saturday. Fish sandwich, coffee and the radio whacked up. >:)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Fresh fluids will always be good, certainly may help things.

Look at the state of this that came out of my clutch reservoir! Never been changed, pedal felt a lot better after a good bleed, can't imagine why...!

Attachments

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't look fresh :laugh2:
Gonna get some DOT 4, does anyone know how much I'll need?

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,098 Posts
The clutch release bearing will make me buy a new clutch (same labour). I've got an upper gearbox mount insert (polybush) in the garage. I'll do things one at a time, starting with transmission fluid change on Saturday. Fish sandwich, coffee and the radio whacked up. >:)
I'd deffo start with gearbox oil and clutch hydraulic fluid

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
As above, start with the fluids. That way you're not guessing and throwing parts at it as it's always good to give it a service anyway.

K20 clutches don't tend to slip, the bite just moves, most complain of it going downwards and causing shifting issues like what you're describing. Some have a heavy pedal.

Unsure if an EP3's bite can be adjusted like an FN2 however but worth a try. If it starts grinding then get it sorted asap as you'll likely eat synchros then mate.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it might be the starter motor making the noise, it sneezes on startup sometimes.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some good news, it's not the flywheel making a grinding noise when I switch off, it's a wheeze coming from the tegiwa induction kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts