2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch judder on 1.6 DTEC?

Car first did it with about 2K on it when lifting clutch to biting point on a slight incline. Quite noticeable. Now done 6K and has done it a couple more times over another 3 months.
Also, the clutch take up feels slightly 'shaky' not completely smooth, most of the time, e.g. when moving slowly in traffic, although sometimes it is smooth.

Anyone else notice this?

· Registered
35 Posts
Clutch judder on 1.6 DTEC?

Car first did it with about 2K on it when lifting clutch to biting point on a slight incline. Quite noticeable. Now done 6K and has done it a couple more times over another 3 months.
Also, the clutch take up feels slightly 'shaky' not completely smooth, most of the time, e.g. when moving slowly in traffic, although sometimes it is smooth.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes, I do. I'm on 18k miles and been having it since new. I agree with how you describe it, doesn't feel 'solid' so to speak.
I find it especially noticeable on the first pull outs from junctions on a damp morning, feeling as though its slipping as you can feel it slipping past the notches on the clutch.
Other times as you've said it, feels normal. I think it just goes with having a Honda diesel, will they ever get the clutches right :rolleyes:

· Registered
476 Posts
Get this occasionally at first "pull off" in the morning. Now on 23K and going to ask dealer to investigate at 25K service.

· Premium Member
57 Posts
I have the 1.6 and also have this judder, I mentioned it at 12,500 mile service a month ago but they couldn't find anything. It can go a week without doing it but then will do it once always when still cold.

· Registered
7 Posts
Clutch Judder

I have the same problem on my 2013 Civic 1.6i-dtec. This judder always seems to happen when car is cold. Dealer tells me they have never had a problem. When it judders the engine nearly jumps off the engine mountings which can't be good for them long term.:(

· Premium Member
57 Posts
I have exactly the same, usually get the judder on colder/damp mornings but I can go a wee or two without it happening. Mentioned it to dealer at 12,500 service and they said they checked but found nothing wrong. At 22,000 now so will mention again. at 25,000 service. Problem is it doesn't do it all the time and definitely only when cold so hard to demonstrate.

If anyone finds a cure I would be grateful!

· Premium Member
1,756 Posts
have these still got DMF's?

· Registered
2,801 Posts
I found that the economy gained by having my 8gen civic diesel was lost in replacing the clutch and flywheel regularly at £900 a pop :mad:

I hope this isn't the beginning of it on the 1.6 diesel

· Premium Member
1,756 Posts
The joy of Dmf ' s.

· Registered
35 Posts
Mentioned it at the 25k service but they were unable to replicate the issue.
I guess its just a case of keep mentioning it and then if enough people report it they will take a look into it. On 28k now and still happening for me.

· Registered
189 Posts
I have the same judder on 1.8. Sometimes really bad. I have understood it is related to moisture during cold starts, on my part it happens mainly during my first few km after starting. I went to the dealer, but guess what, reaching to it consists in a longer journey compared to my normal job route, so by the way I reached there ... I had no judder at all. They could also not reproduce it. They asked me to leave the car there and they would try the next morning. I do not like to leave my car without supervision, I have the feeling they do not treat it too gentle when doing these tests, so it remained that if it happens again and I a am near the dealership I could enter without appointment and they would investigate.
What is strange is that when it judders the RPMs go down very quickly. I am at 2200-2300 and raise slowly the clutch. When in reaches 1800 it begins to judder and even if I maintain the gas/clutch in the same position the rpms go down to 1500 just like that. Very strange.

· Registered
2 Posts
Last year (2016) took my 2013 1.6 CR-V with under 20k to my local Somerset Honda dealer (still under 3yr guarantee) over the clutch judder, sometimes extremely severe when pulling away in the colder mornings, here I received very poor customer care service including being fobbed off with "it's dampness on the clutch", "it affects all the 1.6 diesels including the Civic", "it can be stripped down but if no fault found the cost will be billed to me" - left me thinking what a bulls dung excuse not to do anything for the customer, don't intend using them again.
Ended up taking it to Exeter where the customer service was what I imagine Honda expect it to be, left car overnight with them returning myself the next morning to go out with their test driver who did experience the judder, unfortunate only mildly but action was taken and the clutch stripped down but 'found nothing wrong', Honda uk asked for it and they 'found nothing wrong' but led to believe clutch was replaced, the CR-V was returned to me without the judder, again would like to confirm my satisfaction with that dealership they clearly did all they could for me.
I have written to Honda UK expressing my views as above and a bit more including my opinion it is a DMF problem, to me the clutch take up is totally without feeling and vague, it often feels rubbery or springy when going over poor road surfaces (and there are plenty of them!) most likely caused by the DMF (springs of) between the engine and drive train
Now 2017 and the sad news; the judder on pulling away is returning. I didn't buy a Honda expecting this sort of issue and as it's been around for a few years now can only assume Honda aren't in a hurry to resolve it or maybe to admit a fault because it would cost them lots and lots of money in replacing DMF's?

· Registered
4 Posts
Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 Dtec 22k miles. I have the same issue, always when pulling away in first or reverse, happens for the first couple of miles and until the engine warms up. Once warm the engine behaves perfectly. Due service in April so will raise with them at that time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts