2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just noticed a slight clutch when pulling away thought it was me at first but now not so certain anybody else?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have had it on a few cars, and once in the civic. It seems that if you have just the right (or wrong) conditions with engine speed, road speed, clutvh pressure, temperature, position of moon etc, then the car can badly judder on moving off. I can do it if I try hard in my girlfriends Ka (she doesn't like it).

My old work van used to do it all the time, especially to people who hadn't driven her before. it rearly happened when I got more experienced with her.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I have noticed a slight clutch judder, very occasionally.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Me also, but only on very wet (humid) mornings. Seems to be normal with modern clutches.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Are you sure it's cluth juddering, and not wheels spinning in place? ;)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
No, its clutch judder. Usually as I drive first thing in the morning. Its only happened two or three times since February. And its only slight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought a new civic (2005), and from day one, the clutch juddered whenever I tried to pull away. It took me a year to convince the garage that there was something wrong with it (and I wasn't just a dodgey female driver). After the 3rd time I had booked it in, they eventually agreed to look at the clutch. To my satisfaction they found that it was defected and replaced it. I only wish this was the end of it. Now I have a rattling noise and a pinging sound coming from the suspension. I guess this will be sorted out eventually (if I persist).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have clutch judder, more noticeable on some days than others. I have taken the car in under warranty but the garage want me to sign a paper saying that if Honda feel that I am to blame for the problem I will pay for any replacements and labour. How could I possibly trust Honda to veiw my problem objectively. At this moment in time I feel like putting up with the problem, but why should I.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too. Very Occasional as a few other people have said. I had a Vectra (which was the worst car i've ever had) and it did it really bad on that but only on cold mornings... I've noticed when its happened with my civic its also been a cold morning. Dont know what it is though as i've just put up with it like most others.:worms:

·
Registered
36 Posts
:(I get occasional clutch judder from my 2.2D in 1st gear from cold which goes away after it warms up a bit.
My car is parked on the driveway so I am sure the damp/cold is a factor.

Unfortunately the gear selection gets worse as the engine starts to warm up, particularly into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. After that the box is just plain notchy into 2nd and 3rd most of the time.
This may be clutch related but I'm not sure. :confused:

All is "OK" according to the Bristol dealer where I bought it ....apparently;) !
At 4000 miles and after three or four visits for checking, it's not improving and the dealership aren't able to recognise a problem let alone diagnose it.

I'm going to another dealer for the 1st service (Howards W-S-M) to see if they can bottom out the trouble ...got to be worth a go, plus they want just £175 for the service which costs £50 more 20 miles up the M5.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I too have clutch judder, more noticeable on some days than others. I have taken the car in under warranty but the garage want me to sign a paper saying that if Honda feel that I am to blame for the problem I will pay for any replacements and labour. How could I possibly trust Honda to veiw my problem objectively. At this moment in time I feel like putting up with the problem, but why should I.
That's typical of Honda with issues that are likely if fixed to cause a flood of similar claims.

FWIW when cold or damp mine has a slight judder 1st to 2nd. Given the sporadic nature of this and the fact that from what I have read on hear HUK will not admit a problem easily.

My Peugeot 307 had a major judder which was acknowledged but took two clutch changes and a whole flywheel assembly to sort over the course of 18months. Cost a fortune under warranty. Bought a Honda for better build quality..............hmmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace gearbox bearings at 60k in my 03 Civic and at the same time the guy replaced the clutch which was expired . Ever since I've got judder at cold start when there is any damp around , this clears as soon as the its heated up . I asked the local Honda dealership service manager and he told me that this was a known problem on honda clutches around the time mine was made and they redesigned the fault out . Guess its the price you pay for going to an independent mechanic at half the cost for the repair .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts