2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Always seems to be something with this car! Drove up to Derby from Cornwall last Friday, and returned on Monday night (stopped once at service station on way back). Went to use the car Tuesday evening and with the clutch pedal down and the selector in reverse the car jumped backwards as it turned over.

Turned ignition off and repeated but in first and the car jumped forwards. I started the car in neutral and it did not jump, but I could not change into any gears. I had to leave so borrowed brothers car. When I got back I tried again and could start the car without it moving with clutch down and in gear, and could move the gears around. When I turned car off and repeated it was stiff again.

I managed to limp it to a car park down the road for better access as I parked on the road and have discovered the issue seems to be intermittent. I've checked the clutch fluid and it is near the max mark and clear. I only changed this a few months ago so this was expected. The pedal feels exactly the same, no loss of travel or softness/reluctance to return. I fitted a CC SMF Kit purchased from a member of the forum in March last year and at the same time removed the clutch damper. I changed the gearbox oil with Honda's MTF late last year.

I have never had this issue before and it didn't play up on the drive to or from Derby, including when I stopped and set off again. Currently the clutch sometimes seems to not disengage at all and if started in gear will jump, and if I start in neutral I cannot put it into gear without matching revs, very rarely it will work fine for a few minutes but then stop again. Having searched the forums it seems similar issues were resolved by adjusting the biting point of the clutch or bleeding the clutch fluid. However as the pedal feels the same and when it does engage the bite point feels normal I'm not sure where to start. I was considering spraying the linkages under the gear surround and stick with grease but this seems to be less an issue with the selector not moving and more with gears not wanting to engage. It doesn't seem to be specific to certain gears so I don't think it's the solenoid for reverse and if it goes into gear it doesn't pop out, not sure if this rules out the syncro?

Any suggestions for things I can check or does this need to go to a garage/dealer?

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Can't help with the problem but would suggest that it is never a good idea to start a car with a gear selected even if the clutch pedal is pressed - as you found out.
What would have happened to anyone behind you if the car had got away from you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suggest you ask an assistant to press the clutch down whilst you check to make sure the slave cylinder arm is moving . That will rule out the hydraulic side of things . If that checks out ok I would think you have a problem with the release
bearing or arm . Sadly worst case scenario would be the pressure plate

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for things to check guys, will get it bled this weekend and see what the slave is doing.

I'm assuming clutch release bearing or arm would be a garage job, no access from the top without a lot of disassembly dealio?

And good point Wilmo, to be honest until it happened today it never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I read this earlier and wondered whether this has all transpired after your had done these various bits of work on it. I agree with Kev and Shogran that with the clutch not disengaging it has to be associated with the Master or Slave clutch cylinder. You may be lucky and get away with bleeding the system properly.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked at the steps to replace both the master and slave cylinder, so if it's either of those I'm confident I can replace. Fingers crossed for the bleed, but happy to have less expensive possibilities than clutch work.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Annoyingly it was having an intermittent moment tonight and I couldn't reproduce the issue. The gears definitely feel stiffer than normal, but the clutch only dragged once while I wasn't filming.

The slave looks to be engaging correctly to me:

I'm going to bleed tomorrow, while it was working I circled the car park a few times and biting point seems fine, about 1/3 off floor. When I bleed I'm going to check gearbox oil too, but can't see any sign of a leak.

Update: After bleeding the clutch with 2.5l of fluid to make absolutely sure it was flushed, the issue is still present. However it is now much more reproducible.

With the engine off I can move into any gear with no issue. As soon as the engine is started I cannot shift into any gear. This now happens consistently. I've raised the biting point just in case but this made no difference at all so I've put back to where it was.

I've decided to replace the slave cylinder to be sure, if this doesn't resolve the issue I'll have to get it to a garage to check the release bearing/pressure plate.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm guessing but maybe driving around a car park means that you are pumping the pedal, creating the effect you would have if there was air in the braking system?

Will look forward with interest to your solution,

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having spoken to several garages, I think we've decided to rule our the salve cylinder for the moment. Everywhere I have contacted has said they do not stock Competition Clutch and they do not make this kit due to issues with the quality of the pressure plate. So booked into local garage to get it apart and check pressure plate/bearing/clutch.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
It can be quite a trick to get all the air out of the slave on this era Hondas. Often the slave rod needs to be forced inwards while the traditional bleeding procedure is performed.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Garage couldn't get me in until the 24th so I'll have another go when its a bit drier and see if that helps at all, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just went out with the intention of limping it in first back to a street parking spot (about 200m) so I wasn't paying to have it in the car park.

Started it up and it worked without any issues at all first time if it was a mechanical component could it be this intermittent or am I back to tracking a hydraulic issue? Haven't had a chance to rebleed while applying pressure to the slave piston.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Master and slave cylinder finally arrived from Autodoc, got the master swapped out and went to do the slave. The "compatible" part, isn't. The part where the clutch line attaches is in completely the wrong places, and it's a hard line. Looking at the site, all the ones they list for the 2.2 Civic are this style so no idea what's going on there.

Ended up stripping mine, cleaning and regreasing and refitting it. Flushed the system again and put everything back together for a test drive, managed to drive down the road and back with no issues at all, but on returning and stopping the engine then starting again, the issue was back.

Got this video of gear linkage while I was moving the stick but it wasn't going in, there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement here and at around 13 seconds in and 29 seconds in there looks to be a blast of gas from the left of the mechanism, but I don't know if this is normal or not, can anyone confirm?

It's to the garage on Tuesday so if I haven't worked it out by then, hopefully they can.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,152 Posts
Get that competition clutch off the car and in the bin, they're garbage. No doubt the friction disc centre springs have fallen apart and jammed in the clutch PP, or something along those lines.

Mine was on its last legs when removed last year.

Reactions: shogran

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get that competition clutch off the car and in the bin, they're garbage. No doubt the friction disc centre springs have fallen apart and jammed in the clutch PP, or something along those lines.

Mine was on its last legs when removed last year.
Garage just called, spot on the money. Springs fell apart and jammed in the pressure plate.

What a pain in the ass, but they're getting the new clutch fitted after lunch. Thanks very much to everyone for your input, at least the new master cylinder will hopefully cure my clutch squeak!

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,152 Posts
Garage just called, spot on the money. Springs fell apart and jammed in the pressure plate.

What a pain in the ass, but they're getting the new clutch fitted after lunch. Thanks very much to everyone for your input, at least the new master cylinder will hopefully cure my clutch squeak!
Ahh that's good news and crap news. Please tell me you've put a standard DMF and clutch back in?

My CC friction disc after approx 40k motorway miles 💩💩💩

Reactions: Jon_G

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bloody hell that looks rough, don't think mine even came close to 40k miles.

While trying to find a replacement ended up sorting a clutch kit from CG Motorsport (who along with everyone else lamented my choice of CC). Got the 666 Organic Lucky Devil Race Clutch and Flywheel from them as its supposedly close to OEM feel and can handle the torque of the remap.

Almost certainly overkill, but I need the car back together and working so I can use it again. Fingers crossed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts