2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I may have found the solution to the creaking clutch pedal problem, well at least mine. It does not involve going to the dealer, using grease or oil. I doubt this will effect my warranty either. I'm going to give it a test run for a few days and if all goes well I'll let you all know what the fix is.

This fix relates to the creaking / notchy pedal problem caused by the weak rivets that hold the master cylinder onto the pedal box.

I first approached Honda with my initial fix that required welding the pedal box where the rivets where, but they said the rivets are used as a safety requirement in the event of a frontal collision? Their fix entails replacing the rivets and applying grease between the metal plates. This however does not eliminate the wear and flexing of the pedal box which may result in the failure of the supporting rivets.

Holding thumbs this works, because my pedal has been driving me insane.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I’ve been trying out my fix for a couple of days and so far it’s been working great, no more notchy / creaking pedal. So like I said, I think the problem lies with the two metal surfaces rubbing together when the clutch is applied. These two surfaces are only held together by two rivets, one on either side of the pedal box. This movement causes the whole master cylinder and the assembly its bolted onto to move back and forth, even though it’s a very small amount of movement (0.5mm).

So the quick answer to the problem is to stop the movement that is occurring. So what I did was wedge a plastic pipe between the top of the master cylinder and the main support beam that holds the dash board in place. I’m guessing it’s about a 3 cm gap.
The pipe only need to exert a small amount of pleasure onto the master cylinder, just enough to stop it from moving back into place after taking you foot off the clutch.

The pictures below will kind of give you an idea. It’s not the easiest place to get to, you need to remove the plastic covers in the footwell and then get onto your back in the footwell to get a good look. Getting your hand up to the master cylinder is also not that easy. To remove the covers, first pop off the cover on the side by the door, under that is a screw, then you can pull off the cover by the pedals.

I had to shape the plastic tube a bit so that it had a better grip. The side that presses against the beam, I cut a small V into it so that it would not slide off the round surface of the beam. The side that presses against the cylinder I had to cut more of a U shape so that it would fit the shape of the cylinder. I also first stuck some sponge tape onto cylinder so that the pipe had a better grip.

The plastic pipe I used was an irrigation pipe, so it’s quite soft, not the type used for power cables(very hard plastic), but I suppose you could use anything as long as it’s not to flammable. I first started shaping a piece of wood, but then the plastic tube caught my eye in the garage. J
Clothing Dress Shoulder Fashion model Neck

Auto part Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive window part

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this fix still working then?
Yeah, it's been working great, not a single creak or notchy sensation from the pedal. Except that the sponge tape did not work. After having the car parked in the sun the tape got soft and slipped off the master cylinder. I decided to use some clear glue instead to keep the pipe in place as a precaution. If you wedge the pipe in correctly, all the way to the top of the master cylinder, then it should stay in place by itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've spent a few hours investigating today.

In my case the creaking is not the assembly moving. This may be down to having a new master cylinder on the cars third birthday which was to fix a creaking clutch pedal!

Any how mine was caused by lack of grease on the cylinder end of the push rod. I didn't have time to remove the unit so simply turned the push rod 360 degrees to aggetate the lube.

Been ok since.......

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My clutch pedal is driving me insane aswell. I actually paid my dealer to 'fix it' but it turned out they had done nothing. They were going to call me back but its now one month ago and its getting worse and worse :(. I just used some oil and applied it to the springs and pivet point of the pedal but its not helping so far. It only creaks when going from up to full down, if i keep the pedal halfway and press it in again it doesnt creak. The noise i could live with but its that constant feeling in my foot when i use the clutch.
The noise also seems worse when the cabin is warm.

GRRRRRR

·
Registered
387 Posts
My clutch pedal is driving me insane aswell. I actually paid my dealer to 'fix it' but it turned out they had done nothing. They were going to call me back but its now one month ago and its getting worse and worse :(. I just used some oil and applied it to the springs and pivet point of the pedal but its not helping so far. It only creaks when going from up to full down, if i keep the pedal halfway and press it in again it doesnt creak. The noise i could live with but its that constant feeling in my foot when i use the clutch.
The noise also seems worse when the cabin is warm.

GRRRRRR
Had the same problems didnt work the first 2 times i did it, you need to WD40 the clutch pedal further up, I mean completeley cover the area with WD40 until its dripping with oil and you car stinking of WD40, its abit excessive but it worked for me

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Had the same problems didnt work the first 2 times i did it, you need to WD40 the clutch pedal further up, I mean completeley cover the area with WD40 until its dripping with oil and you car stinking of WD40, its abit excessive but it worked for me
Will surely give it a go, tomorrow i'm first going to try and remove a panel so i can see the entire pedal mechanism better.
Oil will surely be applied in excessive amounts :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Did it work out for you Woette?
I thinking of doing the same when the weather is better (garage full of other stuffs)
No i havent been able to figure out how to remove that piece of plastic which is in the way. I have oiled up the entire clutch mechanism yesterday. It was dripping but this morning i could still feel it a bit. I'm pretty sure the problem is located further up in the footwell but its just impossible to reach.

In the process i even managed to lock up my cat in the car, poor thing. Shame on you honda! ;)

·
CTS GT-T DSBP
240 Posts
hi mate i use to have this problem. honda changed the pedal box and its been like new, no clicks and noises, you may still be under warranty

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hi mate i use to have this problem. honda changed the pedal box and its been like new, no clicks and noises, you may still be under warranty
They already replaced my pedal box/master cylinder in 2010, problem was fixed then,. It has now re-occured after roughly 10 000 miles orso, car is no longer under warranty.
I already paid my garage to 'fix it' during my last service, they didnt do anything as 'all was ok' apart from the noise which was (and i quote) "curious".
Told them they already fixed that problem but they had no clue whatsoever. They told me they were going to call me but thats already one month ago. Horrible what service i'm getting, especially since i'm always servicing my car there and they are making money of me.
I really dont know what to do with it. I'm busy at work so i wont be able to get back at them untill january earliest.
The oil does seem to have softened the noise and feeling a bit so thats positive. Its just annoying really.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi im new to this site, my clutch pedal started to creek alot soon after i bought my 06 1.8 after looking under the pedal i sprayed some wd40 up at the clutch master cyl etc - this didnt work at all. So i thought it was some of the plastic parts (the small push rod right up in behind the pedal) that was making the noise, went to halfords got some sylicone spay lube (for plastics) lay on my back in the foot well and used the straw to spray the lube right onto the push rod very aucward to get to the push rod but youll feel it with your fingers - this sorted it no more creeks and 2 months on (yes im touching wood). obviously it wont work for everyone but hope it helps a few remember its sylicone spay lube you need

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hi im new to this site, my clutch pedal started to creek alot soon after i bought my 06 1.8 after looking under the pedal i sprayed some wd40 up at the clutch master cyl etc - this didnt work at all. So i thought it was some of the plastic parts (the small push rod right up in behind the pedal) that was making the noise, went to halfords got some sylicone spay lube (for plastics) lay on my back in the foot well and used the straw to spray the lube right onto the push rod very aucward to get to the push rod but youll feel it with your fingers - this sorted it no more creeks and 2 months on (yes im touching wood). obviously it wont work for everyone but hope it helps a few remember its sylicone spay lube you need
is it possible you upload a picture in which you point the part you sprayed?

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Im interested in a solution too as mine has started creaking in the last couple of weeks. It doesnt always do it but when it does it sounds horrible !

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I normally aim at the spring, then where the spring joins the metal end plate and then the rod that is connected to the clutch pedal. Push the pedal down with my hand then spray and repeat a few times.

It works ok for me at the moment after a few months. I hope it will last longer.

I did have a new pedal box and master clutch cylinder replaced under warrantly, only worked for about 10K miles or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry woette cant sort any photos, all i can say is feel right up in behind and you will feel the rod coming off the clutch pedal spray this and a bit around it to. main thing is make sure its the sylicone spray as i just found wd40 made it worse

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bit o thread ressurection here I know but I've recently noticed the creak & the notchy feeling on my clutch pedal aswell!

Was there ever a "proper" fix for this? As I'm contemplating taking mine into Honda to see if they can sort it out!

FYI though WD40 is a degreasant as far as I know so using it to "lube" moving parts won't really work and could actually make things worse as you could potentially be stripping away any lubrication that's already there!

I have got some silicone spray grease that I could try or some GT85 which is a spray grease with Teflon in it ( might try that before going to the dealer!), but a quick look at a few threads seems to suggest this is a pretty wide spread issue - one that you'd think Honda would try and effect a proper cure for!!

Was this problem ever properly addressed!??

Btw mine is the kinda "crackling" feeling under your foot accompanied with a "creak" when pressing the clutch!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Bit o thread ressurection here I know but I've recently noticed the creak & the notchy feeling on my clutch pedal aswell!

Was there ever a "proper" fix for this? As I'm contemplating taking mine into Honda to see if they can sort it out!

FYI though WD40 is a degreasant as far as I know so using it to "lube" moving parts won't really work and could actually make things worse as you could potentially be stripping away any lubrication that's already there!

I have got some silicone spray grease that I could try or some GT85 which is a spray grease with Teflon in it ( might try that before going to the dealer!), but a quick look at a few threads seems to suggest this is a pretty wide spread issue - one that you'd think Honda would try and effect a proper cure for!!

Was this problem ever properly addressed!??

Btw mine is the kinda "crackling" feeling under your foot accompanied with a "creak" when pressing the clutch!!
100% like mine!!
as you said i tried WD40 but that in fact made it a bit worse. I now found another thread which suggest putting some grease in the master clutch cylinder with a syringe. I'll post the thread a bit later, it is for an accord but i'm gonna try it anyway. I'm thinking of using high duty vacuum grease from work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts