2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Clutch pedal on floor

Clutch 
9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  musegroove 
#1 ·
I've got a stage 4 competition clutch and yesterday while driving, I engaged 4th gear and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I pulled over and managed to lift it up, it then worked 'normally' as I went straight home. I've done a bit of googling and found this could possibly be a clutch master cylinder issue. I'm booked in for a service this Friday at TDi north which is great as they will have a look, but I'm concerned about getting there. Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Not heard of it getting stuck to the floor before.. I also have the stage 4.

Fluid level checked?? It sounds like either the master cylinder has air in the line or isn't sealing correctly, as the pedal will stick to the floor if the line is open (when bleeding) that may be the issue. Maybe bleed the system with fresh fluid just to make sure, or just check that the slave cylinder is still sealed and no leaks. Not sure if the seals in the master cylinder could cause this too.

#3 ·
thank you for the reply - I'll check the fluid levels tonight, if they are ok am I right in thinking that the leak could be internally and therefore I might be ok driving it to the garage (70 miles!). If fluid has gone then I assume I might be better getting that seen to locally instead?

#4 ·
Master cylinders usually fail where the rubber seal deteriorates. Check the fluid level and check around the rubber seal and pedal area for a leak.

It's weird that you pulled it up and it worked as normal again. Master cylinder failure usually means the biting point changes and completely different pedal feel

#5 ·
Pressure plate too strong for the clutch hydraulics maybe. Check clutch fluid level. Also the master cylinder contains a return spring. Mine actually snapped inside somehow and have my pedal travel became sloppy with no return force.

#6 ·
Quick update on this - thanks to all of you for advice

I managed to make the drive to TDI north - approx. 60 miles literally holding my breath each time I changed gear!

Competition Clutch have come up with a new clutch material for their stage 4 clutches and TDI fitted one of these new ones there and then. really good service and the chirps/squeels when engaging the clutch are completely gone. also there is far less judder when trying to slip the clutch. the car felt amazing setting off. This however, was not the cause of the problem. It was a master cylinder failure (not sure exactly where yet but looks like a seal internally, so TDI have replaced this and all is well again. Actually better than before due to the new clutch..

#10 ·
Mines an 07 plate...

#12 ·
It was one of the internal rubber seals that had perished. Such a tiny part causing all that trouble!

Reactions: Forbidden8701
#14 ·
oh god not again!

pedal is on the floor again :(

slightly different this time as it is not dragging itself down like last time, it makes a hissing sound when pressed then stays on the floor.
I managed to get home by pulling it up with the end of my shoe and I was only a mile or so away but it stalled every time I stopped as pressing the clutch all the way wasn't fully disengaging.

Don't think I can get it as far as warrington to see TDI North again unfortunately so might have to try somewhere local.

Any advice appreciated!

#15 ·
For anyone who has a similar issue, the problem was the master cylinder... again!

This time I followed the excellent how-to on here by Forbidden8701 and did it myself - thank you so much! Link below..

Worst bit was trying to get to the bleed valve as its location is blocked by my blow of valve from the turbo which made it a bit more tricky. However, with perseverance, scratched forearms and lots of swearing I am back on the road :) (for less than £100)

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/120233-how-change-clutch-master-cylinder-fn2.html

Reactions: musegroove
#16 ·
I only have an OEM clutch and on my third cmc now before I got one that actually worked.

The extra pressure needed for the clamping force of the clutch might be too much for the cmc seals. On the dervs the damper is usually first to go so it's weird that you're having bad luck with the cmc. At least you can do them yourself now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.