2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I floor it, quite often I get this certain smell like "Burned Hair". I was told that it could be the clutch slipping. I had spoken to the guys at Honda but they said (of course) that everything was ok. I had mentioned it a few times but still got the same answer.

Has anyone had the same problem as I? What could this be?
I'm not covered by warranty cause after 3.5 yrs. I stopped going to Honda.

If anyone has any insight on this issue please show me the light.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
check oil level, could be brakes but probably IS the clutch.
I think it depends on your gear changing, down shifting - but usually when you "properly" floor a car you can smell the clutch
I used to get the same thing but it just went? I must floor it too often ;P

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I get the same smell after I floor it a bit, several people said clutch but I argued that it wasn't a clutch smell so went for a spirited drive pulled over and popped the bonnet. After a good sniff round the engine/wheels I'm 90% sure it's the front pads

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get the same smell after I floor it a bit, several people said clutch but I argued that it wasn't a clutch smell so went for a spirited drive pulled over and popped the bonnet. After a good sniff round the engine/wheels I'm 90% sure it's the front pads
Actually that is a possibility cause I've noticed A LOT of brake dust on the front rims. Could very well be from that. I'll check that out! Maybe, just maybe the discs are warped very slightly. Enough to have that happen but not enough to notice while driving. Haven't noticed anything when braking but OH I duno!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The smell of overheated pads is so similar to those of a slipping clutch, so if you can't feel anything wrong when pulling out and changing gear, it's most probably the pads mate

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch Problems

Well just got back from Honda for the "Wire loom" recall, everything OK. One of the tech's actually noticed that I have a problem with the clutch. He first asked me if I had changed the clutch (aftermarket) and I said no but I have noticed the clutch isn't working properly. Another thing I failed to mention is when going full from stop position most of the time when I change gear they seem to be harder to change and the gear starts that Grrrrrr as like I was changing gears without using the clutch.

Now because I have 64.000km on the the car and that since a year ago I stopped going to Honda for my service I am no longer covered under warranty. When I was still covered and had mentioned it to them (3-4 times) they'd take it for a ride and then tell me that everything was fine.

So now that time and km's have gone by and I'm no longer covered and will end up paying about 1000€ to fix. If I don't fix it soon I'm sure to have other more expensive problems.[smilie=mad.gif][smilie=disgust.gif]:mad2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts