2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive been lurking around reading topics as a guest for a while but have only just registered today. Found loads of useful stuff on here and there seem to be a lot of knowledgable people here so wondered if anyone can help.

I bought a 2007 Cdti in May and then couldnt drive due to surgery for a couple of months. On attempting to drive it again I found the starter motor was sticking, then got it going by hitting it with a hammer and during that first drive the clutch went crunch and died, the previous owner had a cg motor sport clutch put on less than a year ago. Also it needed 2 new track rod ends as the last MOT advised there was some play in them, this part is just maintenance so wasnt worried.

Took the car in the garage last week and they have put one of the LUK clutches Honda use on for me, all works fine, they changed the starter motor and the track rod ends. Wasnt a main dealer but a local garage I have used for years, always been very good and worked loads on my 2004 civic with no issues ever. Went to pick it up today and started to drive it out of the garage to notice the rev lights, speedo and eco lights werent working and as i was turning round to go back into the garage the Power steering warning light came on. The powersteering was working fine, just the light on. Cruise control also wont switch on. He reckons the speedo was working coming off the ramp and on test drive.

The garage tried to read the fault codes and their reader definately should read a honda civic 2007, it just said no connection.

The battery had been flat for a while as I hadnt even been able to start the car while ill.

The garage is at a bit of a loss, everything that isnt working now was working fine before I took it in, even after the issues happened and they arent sure if perhaps the engine will need reprogramming?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this happening? all the bits that dont work are now lights on the dashboard stuff, the car drives better than it has since i bought it!

If anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful to hear from you, sorry that my first post on this forum is a moan and beg for information!

I bought it after writing off my 2004 civic, which drove like steering a tank but never broke down, I so regret crashing that car!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Claire

·
more torque than the mrs
6,623 Posts
are you are with a breakdown company if you are get them out to read the codes my first thoughts are sensor issues, don't be fobbed off by the garage they have to put it right if they refuse get in touch with trading standards..

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
The most likely cause of the problems is that the garage have disturbed a connection somewhere, or have forgotten to reconnect something that had to be disconnected to change the clutch (or incompletely put a connector back on properly, so it's making an intermittent connection). It's almost understandable, as an awful lot has to be dismantled to replace the clutch!

But try disconnecting the battery for at least 20 minutes to see if you can reset the ECU.

Some poor-quality remaps can affect the ability to connect diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cheers guys,

I did think sensor as its been removed to fit the clutch, really hope its something as simple as a connector and not anything unconnected to the work!

The garage is good, I know he wont charge me if its something he has done or that is connected to the work. Its why I keep going back to them ;) Being a girl Ive had some right idiots in garages try to charge me for work not done and all sorts, luckily Ive always had a handy Dad who made me learn about cars before letting me drive his on the insurance years back when I was 17 so usually catch them out, found a good one who dont do that and stuck with them.

The mechanic knew I was going to post here and ask for ideas, I shall show him your suggestions.

Cheers again

Claire

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Do you know who remapped the car and what the power gains were ? Would suggest that they were reasonably high if the previous owner went to the expense of an uprated clutch.

I'd be concerned of a standard replacement clutch with that map, and would seriously consider putting a standard map back on, assuming that you're happy with that power output.

I tend to agree with earlier comments, especially Jon_G's, (he does know his stuff).

I do hope that you manage to get it sorted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The map printouts are in the car, it isn't that much more, I'm happy to have it mapped back and drive like miss daisy anyhow ;) how much would it cost to get mapped back? I'm a bit skint after the clutch!

They got a car electrician to look at it and it seems to be the speed sensor. As the don't have internet at the garage asked me to ring round as they had trouble finding one, laughed my arse off as I was getting quotes of £160 for 2nd hand ones when the main dealer want £68.17 for a new one.

Think I'm going to hang round this forum, back in the day I used to always work on my cars myself, gave up in the last 6 years but might start doing it again, it was fun! And reckon that if I get stuck there are a few friendly helpful people here who could point me in the right direction. Except for undoing nuts.... That was always the bit I got stuck on, could change parts but once had to ask next doors builder if he would come off the roof to help me undo a glow plug :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and the speed sensor is actually broken, assume it happened putting it back on so let's see if they fess up and don't charge me!

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Hi Claire,

Glad to hear that it's nothing too serious. Cheapest places for OEM parts are generally Lings or Cox Motor Parts, the latter has a loyalty scheme for :civinfo: members that you can sign up to for further discount.

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cox-motor-parts/108055-loyalty-scheme.html

Could you post a copy of your map on here ? If the power upgrade isn't substantial it might be worth leaving it on your car.

Oh, and could you list your car year and model, and location in the "About me" section in your profile ? Helps other members point you in the right direction, especially if you are buying or selling. ;)

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
we are all one big family on civinfo we all help each other;)

I wouldn't quite go that far Deni, there are the odd shyster, troll, antagonist floating about, but they are few and far between.

A good guide is how long someone's been a member, how many posts they've made, and how many thanks and i-trader feedback they've received.

Can't remember how many times I've thanked you...:lol:

·
more torque than the mrs
6,623 Posts
I wouldn't quite go that far Deni, there are the odd shyster, troll, antagonist floating about, but they are few and far between.
true we dismiss those quickly

Can't remember how many times I've thanked you...:lol:
me either i'm going to check lol;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shall dig out the remap sheet when I get home.

Put the car details on now.

Thanks all, still not heard from them today, I want my car back! I'm so fed up of having no transport now.

I shall definitely have a look at that discount scheme too, cheers for that info, I've still got an interior panel to replace and an air in glitch to get sorted when I can afford it so that's really helpful to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts