2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here. I recently became the proud new owner of a Type S GT. On Thursday.

Unfortunately the clutch appears to be slipping. I'm going to call in and see the dealer this week, obviously I would expect them to fix it without question but... Does this seem likely or am I hoping for a bit too much?

Any help appreciated.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
It should most definitely be repaired at no cost to you. Goods and services act. Unfit for purpose etc etc etc. Good luck and hope they sort it out with no hassle

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Clutch slip at such low mileage suggests there a problem somewhere. Either with the cruise control setting, clutch adjustment or driving style - does the main driver ride the clutch at junctions?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all thank you for the fast replies!

I am the only driver so far. I've only put about 300 miles on since getting it. I can only imagine the dealer would've known assuming they gave it a thorough test which I was guaranteed they had.

I'm going to try and get on to them tomorrow and get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
It is a commonly-reported problem on Honda diesels. There is a wealth of information on this forum (and others), so a car dealer should know about this problem.

Definitely take it back ASAP. Clutch slip on these can often 'come and go', so if you delay then you may find the problem hard to demonstrate.

Is it a Honda dealer?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Clutch slip at such low mileage suggests there a problem somewhere. Either with the cruise control setting, clutch adjustment or driving style - does the main driver ride the clutch at junctions?

The mileage is not necessarily that low... My first one was replaced under warranty at 27k (without any remaps)... I first noticed it at around 18k but the technicians couldn't replicate the issue so basically told me to live with it till it got worse... <.< And that was supposedly a 325 clutch since mine is a 60 plate...

I blame the 8k miles it did when it was a demo car... <.<

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
The mileage is not necessarily that low... My first one was replaced under warranty at 27k (without any remaps)... I first noticed it at around 18k but the technicians couldn't replicate the issue so basically told me to live with it till it got worse... <.< And that was supposedly a 325 clutch since mine is a 60 plate...

Then does it get to a point where you cant move? Like no bite point at all?

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts

Clutches should easily last longer than this.

However Honda however have spec'd clutches that aren't up to the job.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
At the risk of tempting fate, my 2005 Accord is still on it's original (so '305') clutch and DMF @ 165k miles...

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
At the risk of tempting fate, my 2005 Accord is still on it's original (so '305') clutch and DMF @ 165k miles...
Amazing! Is it sat in cruise control on the M25 all day? - going around and around Oh wait, that's a car park!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
I got it in 2008 @ 82k miles with a FHSH (and all repair history, which was practically zero) for the bargain price of £5900 from BCA Birmingham. It was ex-leasehire, so I assume it had obviously racked up a lot of miles under motorway use. For the next 5 years I used it a lot for commuting and work, so also racked up a lot of motorway miles (mostly under cruise control).

So I agree that the clutch has had little use, at least until the last couple of years! It did go through a period of slipping during 2009, but made a full recovery with no repeat occurrence since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
didn't buy from a Honda dealer, although it was from Agnew Group which here in NI is a big name.

I took it up to them this morning and thankfully I was able to show the mechanic when he was in the car. It's booked in for repair next Monday.

If it needs a replacement clutch should I request one made by someone other than Honda?

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts

:dito:

Slipping clutch - Civinfo Wiki

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
didn't buy from a Honda dealer, although it was from Agnew Group which here in NI is a big name.

I took it up to them this morning and thankfully I was able to show the mechanic when he was in the car. It's booked in for repair next Monday.

If it needs a replacement clutch should I request one made by someone other than Honda?
For info, the 'Honda' clutch and DMF are made by LUK... hopefully they'll be carefully checking the DMF while they have access to it? Many would recommend replacing the DMF during a clutch swap, but you may struggle to get that done under warranty as the DMF is the major cost.

The only alternatives to Honda/LUK parts would be clutch/SMF motorsport options that would cost more than the OEM clutch.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I got it in 2008 @ 82k miles with a FHSH (and all repair history, which was practically zero) for the bargain price of £5900 from BCA Birmingham. It was ex-leasehire, so I assume it had obviously racked up a lot of miles under motorway use. For the next 5 years I used it a lot for commuting and work, so also racked up a lot of motorway miles (mostly under cruise control).

So I agree that the clutch has had little use, at least until the last couple of years! It did go through a period of slipping during 2009, but made a full recovery with no repeat occurrence since.
"It did go through a period of slipping..... but made a full recovery with no repeat occurrence since"...hmmm, mine seems to do this as well. No slipping for ages, then lots of classic slipping clutch demos that can be performed at will.
Usually I can only produce slip with three or four inside and going up on a good hill.
I know it'll give up completely one day, but as long as it's manageable, I'm inclined to leave it as it is.
I sort of miss the 'kick in the pants' power with less than maximum horsepower transmitted to the wheels, though.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
"It did go through a period of slipping..... but made a full recovery with no repeat occurrence since"...hmmm, mine seems to do this as well. No slipping for ages, then lots of classic slipping clutch demos that can be performed at will.
Usually I can only produce slip with three or four inside and going up on a good hill.
I know it'll give up completely one day, but as long as it's manageable, I'm inclined to leave it as it is.
I sort of miss the 'kick in the pants' power with less than maximum horsepower transmitted to the wheels, though.
Mine only slipped for about a week, tops, and then never again. Not unusual and is normally considered to be the pressure plate self-adjuster 'doing its thing' after a little initial stickiness. But, if it's happening a lot, then I guess the clamping strength of your pressure plate has become too weak and/or beyond the range of the self-adjusting mechanism.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts