2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 60 plate 2.2 with 70k miles on it less than a week ago. I noticed a clutch slip two days ago, it was quite bad when I put my foot down on 3rd 4th and 5th.

I contacted the garage on Friday and they requested I bring the car over, which I plan to do tomorrow or Tuesday. However, I can't recreate the fault since. Basically when I put my foot down the clutch appears not to be slipping.

Why is this?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
The clutch has a self adjustment mechanism that periodically ratchets up and prevents slip.

It will slip again tho especially of driven badly e.g. too much throttle from low rpm on high gears. Instead let the car rev through the gear. Also change down a gear or two when accelerating.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it out after my post last night, when roads were quiet and could not get it to slip. Even uphil, low revs and floored.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
It will slip again, then will eventually ratchet up again. It'll keep doing this until it's run out of adjustment and then starts slipping in all gears.

It'll usually start slipping again when it's most inconvenient ! - so take care.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

It did start slipping again and I took it to the garage who drove and witnessed it too. He said as it's slipping at low RPM as opposed to high its probably a bearing.

Is this right?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Thanks.

It did start slipping again and I took it to the garage who drove and witnessed it too. He said as it's slipping at low RPM as opposed to high its probably a bearing.

Is this right?
no

it's more likely to be the pressure plate not providing enough clamping pressure especially if the ratchet mechanism has reached the end of it's travel

either way i would push for a new clutch it's gonna need one sooner or later ( probably sooner )

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers mate if I pushed for a new clutch do you know roughly how much that would cost?

And in my position would you expect them to cover the whole cost or would you offer a percent of the costs?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.

Would you push for them to cover the entire cost or offer a percent towards the repairs?

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're closed now but tomorrow I'll inform them that they either replace the clutch or take the car back.

What should I do if they refuse?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
They have a legal obligation to fix issues that occur within 3 months(?) after purchase UNLESS they were noted during the sale and the price was adjusted accordingly.

The clutch needs to be fitted properly and torqued down correctly otherwise the self adjuster won't work and you'll be fitting another sooner than you think.

In the real world they'll probably be reluctant to repair it at their cost, you may get lucky tho. It depends how much you want the car, if it's a keeper bar this issue then you may get a better reception/quicker resolution/less hassle from them if you offer something in return - maybe cover some of the spanner time?

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help.

I will return the car and look for another. I am happy with it besides this issue. But there are others around.

If they agree to fix the issue, how can I ensure that they're doing the work you have mentioned correctly?

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have received an email from them saying they've ordered the parts and to drop the car off to them.

Anyone know how long it should take and anything to be cautious of/look out for?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
you should be without your car for no longer than a day

by rights if you drop the car off first thing and they get on with the job it should be ready for pickup in the afternoon or the end of the day at the latest

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There a chance they'll use a cheap clutch or would it be OEM?

·
4,258 Posts
Anyone know how long it should take
Why ask us? Why didn't you ask the garage that's going to fix it? They are likely to have a pretty good idea of how long it will take them.
As above. But if they are a Honda dealer, they will, with 99% certainly use OEM. If not, who knows what they will put in it.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
the only other off the shelf clutches iv'e heard of besides competition clutches are Exedy and transmech sold by euro car parts

the exedy is surprisingly more expensive than the OEM LUK clutch kit at ECP

no idea of the quality of the exedy or transmech clutch kits but considering the weak pressure plates on the LUK clutch kits it makes me wonder if the other ones are better

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone know how long it should take
Why ask us? Why didn't you ask the garage that's going to fix it? They are likely to have a pretty good idea of how long it will take them.
As above. But if they are a Honda dealer, they will, with 99% certainly use OEM. If not, who knows what they will put in it.
If you don't wanna answer that's fine mate. I did ask and was trying to tie their answer with others experiences, if that's alright

I will ask and see what their answer is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts