2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pre loved 08 plate 2.2 diesel Civic. I did give it a good run beforehand and didn't have an issue. However on driving the car home on the motorway I think the clutch slipped (never had a clutch slip before so not 100% sure). Anyway for a split second the car revs dropped and I lost power, does clutch sound likely?

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

To test for clutch slip try accelerating hard in 4/5 or 6th gear from around 1700rpm. Uphill or with a load on board helps but isn't necessary. The car will not accelerate as fast and rpm will rise.

The clutch will adjust periodically so it may not slip all the time, unless it is totally shot.

A failure is not likely but do not try ant risky overtakes.

If it is slipping then drive with more rpm in a lower gear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm what could it have been then ? It definitely felt like it lost power, almost like I changed gear or pressed clutch for a second. Bit worried now, I don't like mysteries.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
It could easily have been clutch slip, as the revs would drop as the clutch recovered.

Best to take it back to where you bought it and ask them go explain. Or contact the previous owner... They may have had a good reason for selling it?

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Will I be able to return under warrenty
That will depend on your warranty and how receptive the dealer is.

Unless the vehicle was advertised with the slipping clutch, then you should pursue the dealer. Unfortunately a clutch is deemed consumable and they may argue that you have damaged the clutch.

Good luck

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had it looked at by 2 mechanics now. They say it's definitely not the clutch and they can't find anything else wrong with the car, say it runs nice actually. God knows what that blip was, I've been up and down the motorway but I can't replicate the fault.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Perhaps the clutch has self adjusted? They tend to do that until there is no more adjustment and then the slip gets more constant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've no idea. I'm actually considering an economy remap at some point in the future, not looking for massive performance gains but just smoother acceleration and a little more mpg. It may mean I still have to get a new clutch DMF at some point anyway.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
A remap will transform your car. I have had stage 1 and 2 and mpg's are still great, provided you aren't constantly raggin' it.

Not many bother with the eco map tbh.

Provided you factor in a clutch and flywheel change, then the remap is a win, win.

The aftermarket clutch/SMF drive great, provided they are set-up right. The kits aren't anywhere near as expensive as they used to be either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just updating this thread as I know have another problem. Went out earlier, car started fine from cold. Parked up to get some shopping, I had to try start it twice as it struggled. As soon as it did start the engine management light came on. I can't feel there's anything wrong with it but the lights still on after turning it on and off a few times. I'm off to the garage tomorrow but has anyone any idea what it may be (common faults). Hoping it's not serious as I've had a full service and re gassed air con etc so don't wanna have to return it. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the camshaft sensor apparently p0308 how much is this to fix, if it's loads I'm taking it back to the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts