2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started noticing my clutch slipping under heavy acceleration tonight. Although atm only looking like in 3rd gear around 3K revs accelerating hard. Needless to say I'm abit annoyed, but hey I knew this is a common issue with the Civic Diesels. Anyway... after a bit of advice really, firstly, I have had the car a few weeks short of 3 months, and I am covered for 3 months under the Warantee provided my the garage. Does anyone know if I am likely to be covered for the clutch under the standard 3 months engine & transmission cover that most dealers provide (Its not a main Honda dealer though). Secondly, would the car be covered at all from any sort of Honda dealership, I'm guessing probaly not because of it doing >60K and I'm not the first owner, and it will no doubt go down as 'wear & tear'. Also, I am under AA cover for National Breakdown & Repair (they will pay up to £500 per repair needed to the car), should I again be covered through this? I beleive I should??? Will it need to fail before I can claim for such a thing? Can they inspect/ diagnose/ agree repair?

Lastly, if all else fails, anyone got a rough guide for prices for the entire clutch kit, and will a new flywheel be needed (I will be looking through threads that most likely cover this so apologies if I'm repeating others' problems). I have a mechanic that would be able to fit said clutch etc at a very reasonable rate although would like to know parts costs. Lastly, I understand a number of people have upgraded to 6 paddle clutches, can I ask where these can be purchased from/ associated costs JUST for parts?

Many thanks again everyone! Many apologies where I have repeated previous questions :( Looking more for advice really on where I stand...

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mechanic Friend can prob fit for around £150-£200 tops, will speak to him tomorrow, was very good with my last car. So would be looking at £350-400 all in for new clutch, but would a dmf be needed???

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed isn't worth taking the risk if it could cause it to go again. Are all people suffering failure/ slipping replacing both? Where are CG based (guessing no where near Bristol)!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
O bugger.

Haha, anyone know of anyone nearer home for me? lol

Take the road trip! once i have the funds next month im booking in and heading at 3/4am on the 5 hour trip down, watch a couple movies at the cinema and drive to get a remap then home by 11pm :lol: i know itll be worth it, plus its an excuss for a day off.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am tempted, but more perhaps by a trip to Celtic in Cornwall :)

At the moment need to save as much as possible to sort this all out, now looking at a Stage 3 Clutch from Demon Tweeks... Will all take shape over the next few months I hope...

Btw, is the standard replacement (OEM) DMF fine for uprated clutches, or should I look at performance ones and if so where??? :)

Cheers for your replies!

Reactions: civicnewbie

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried to replicate the clutch slipping again this morning as I was just becoming a bit paranoid. I couldn't... :S not sure whether the problem still lies or if it could be a slightly different fault??? Flywheel perhaps? Anyway, car seems to be running totally fine again, just being much more steady incase, and will save the pennies anyway for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you think maybe worth taking to Honda even though I did not buy from a Honda Dealer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I notice u mentioned Celtic remap, if you don't fancy the drive to Cornwall (I didn't!) they will come to u in a van. But I felt this lacked after care (if I lost the map during a service or wanted it removed before sale, I'd have to pay a call out fee). So emailed Celtic and asked them if they had a local centre to me, they did and it was £50 cheaper than the man in the van option (£250 instead of £295) plus I can call back to the garage at anytime n have the map removed or replaced. Give them an email, save a long drive!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 hour drive each way, would be a nice day out for me missus and kiddo i was thinking :) but yeh thanks for the tip may well try it... busy saving the cash for this clutch now as even it was replaced under warantee i would be thinking is this going to happen again...

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I get a issue with my car were its struggling under hard acceleration for 1.5 seconds and then shoots,
it feels like ive got my foot on the accelerator pedal while im changing gears, speed or acceleration drops for 1.5 seconds before it picks up
My clutch was changed under warranty 20K miles ago, less than 2yrs ago, would it be covered under a 2 year parts warranty, cars 5yrs old now.
Is a DMF covered under Honda extended warranty i might get that if its possible

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
My clutch appears to be on the way out too. I can get it to slip in 5th/6th gear between 2000-2500 rpm. Mileage is 100.000 km (60.000 miles), all with stock power.

I will of course see if i can get at least some warranty coverage, but in order to be prepared, does anyone know the approximate hours it takes to change the clutch (labour hours) at the dealer?

If i do not get the parts covered, i will buy them myself and see if a mechanic friend can fit them. Perhaps even upgrade to a CG clutch.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
my clutch just got done at 51k, out of warranty, I only had to pay 3.3 hours labour, Honda settled the rest, they seem to be willing considering I had the car from new and had it serviced by Honda since new

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Ok, that would be manageable, roughly 200 € at my dealers hour rate. I have a full service record with every inspection done at the dealer, so at least i have all that would be necessary.

Did they pay for the parts in your case?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.