2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of many who has had a Celtic Stage 1 remap, a squeaky clutch pedal for a couple of years, and just recently have had a CG666 kit installed by TDi North.

I've noticed even during and after 'bedding in' and particularly when cold, the clutch is a little difficult to fully disengage gear, care should be taken to avoid partial gear contact.
When its warmer, after a little use - presumably also including the effects of some heat soak - the bite point is slightly higher, clutch is smooth and change is easy.

It reverts to the squeaky, stiffer, slightly difficult to change gear clutch the following day.

I've been reading the stories of squeaky clutches being 'cured' by sprays - does mine as well for a short while - but not REALLY cured until the pedal / CMC is replaced.

I queried the use of braided lines on another thread, which wasn't met with a unanimous 'do it'.

Do any other members with higher clamp pressure / modified clutches think they are encountering CMC problems since the 'upgrade'?
Al.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without a full inspection, a 'quick informed opinion' from TDi stated that they'd had a spate of people having failed CMC's with upgraded clutches - don't know if that means 2, 3, 15 ..
Bottom line from them was to check it out but is probably the CMC.

Don't forget this was a quick opinion - there are other items which (hopefully not, but) could be affected, such as Slave cylinder, linkages, etc.
All symptoms are those of pending CMC failure.

Al.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had Honda check it out ...
Mechanic was wise to various 'options' people install, but first:
1. WOW, that's heavy.
2. REALLY NICE to drive - actually prefer it.
3. Doesn't seem bad, but what's been done, this GOES REALLY NICE ... then I mentioned Celtic Stage 1, SMF, ...

Bottom line: Working OK. Would recommend change of CMC but no fail yet, then take from there. CMC's are a known weak point on these.

For safety / reliability I'm going to change it - should be fine.

Strange thing is, its been fine ever since!

Also mentioned an opinion that if the iDTEC clutch is made to fit the 2.2 engine, albeit on the Accord, he didn't see why it shouldn't fit the Civic .... !!

Al.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry.

It is easy when you know.
Our Director's always having a go at me creating acronyms for my reports, but I was a bit lost on this site as well!! :D

Al.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Lol, I'm in the RAF so used to it. We even abbreviate 3 letter acronym to TLA! Can have a conversation in letter form...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Had Honda check it out ...
Mechanic was wise to various 'options' people install, but first:
1. WOW, that's heavy.
2. REALLY NICE to drive - actually prefer it.
3. Doesn't seem bad, but what's been done, this GOES REALLY NICE ... then I mentioned Celtic Stage 1, SMF, ...

Bottom line: Working OK. Would recommend change of CMC but no fail yet, then take from there. CMC's are a known weak point on these.

For safety / reliability I'm going to change it - should be fine.

Strange thing is, its been fine ever since!

Also mentioned an opinion that if the iDTEC clutch is made to fit the 2.2 engine, albeit on the Accord, he didn't see why it shouldn't fit the Civic .... !!

Al.
The clutch and dmf from the accord type s does fit our civic but I believe the clutch plate needs a little modification

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can believe that.
The idea was that the iCTDi 2.2 Civic motor's rated at 140 bhp, but the iDTEC's is 180 bhp - closer to the Celtic Stage 1 193 bhp.

This might be a 'crossover' modification Honda garages will work with.
Al.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid for it, but Honda replaced the CMC on Friday.
Cold starts were the issue - we reckoned there was the combination of the 7 1/2 year old worn CMC with the higher clamp pressure plate of the CG666.
Also notice the pedal bite point rises as the unit gets a bit warmer - full declutch required when cold, every day, double-declutching to avoid crunching.

THAT WAS BEFORE.

Now, this morning was colder than the last few days, so it could be called a cooler start and .... bite point remains a bit lower when cold, but engagement of gears is SMOOTH - no problem. This was a problem.

NO SQUEAKS!!

I was due to depart Honda before midday to go to TDi for the drop links and poly bush FARB replacement. .... delayed!
My fault - forgot to tell Honda that TDi had to adjust the CMC as well.

REALLY nice car now - set for another few years I reckon!!
Al.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts