2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Guys, i have a 2009 Honda civic i-CTDI 2009 and i had code P1384 this causes the car to go into limp mode when cold. Once the car is warm i can clear the code and it stays off until cold again. I've changed all 4 glow plugs and the relay but still pops up when the engine is cold. can anyone help please?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had this code and changing the glo plugs cleared the code after reset but when I enquired about the code I was told it could be any of the glo plug system including the wiring loom for the plugs but maybe one of the new plugs is faulty and if it only comes on when cold is there some kind of control module or relay that is at fault and isn't kicking in when the plugs should be warming up

Sent from my HS_10DTB12A using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Simple electrical checks would have saved a lot of expense! You need to see if all glowplugs are getting power at cold start up... If you haven't got a multimeter then you can wire up four 12v car lamps (such as 5w number plate lamps or tail lamps) from chassis to each glowplug top connector to prove that power is available or not (do not disconnect the glowplugs while doing this test)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked all plugs with jump leads and they all glow fine, changed the relay, been y told you need honda genuine plugs, I used BOSH, do I buy the genuine plugs or a new harness?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Simple electrical checks would have saved a lot of expense! You need to see if all glowplugs are getting power at cold start up... If you haven't got a multimeter then you can wire up four 12v car lamps (such as 5w number plate lamps or tail lamps) from chassis to each glowplug top connector to prove that power is available or not (do not disconnect the glowplugs while doing this test)[/QUOTE

I have checked all plugs with jump leads and they all glow fine, changed the relay, been y told you need honda genuine plugs, I used BOSH, do I buy the genuine plugs or a new harness?
Bosch made the original glowplugs, not Honda.

I still recommend that you carry out the simple diagnostic test I described above, however you seem to be a 'parts darts' kind of mechanic who doesn't bother with diagnostic investigation! This could simply be a failed connection somewhere which could be easily repaired for free, if you bother to track it down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bosch made the original glowplugs, not Honda.

I still recommend that you carry out the simple diagnostic test I described above, however you seem to be a 'parts darts' kind of mechanic who doesn't bother with diagnostic investigation! This could simply be a failed connection somewhere which could be easily repaired for free, if you bother to track it down.

well its definitely not the pugs or the relay so your intending is a loom issue to the glow plug harness, solution.. buy a new loom? saves faffing about testing each wire

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
well its definitely not the pugs or the relay so your intending is a loom issue to the glow plug harness, solution.. buy a new loom? saves faffing about testing each wire
Yeah, on top of the relay and glowplugs that you already wasted money on why not throw even more money away on a new loom to save a bit of diagnostic investigation (or 'faffing', as you call it) only to discover that it's the control unit that's failed? You never know, you might get lucky eventually and actually fix this 10 year old car for less money than the car is worth?

Good luck and I genuinely hope you fix it soon. But diagnosing the electrical fault would be far better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts