2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Will any of the basic code readers work on a civic just so i can google codes and work problems out? not looking to buy a snap on ethos haha

any suggestions please

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
I didn't have any trouble using a cheap eBay ELM thingamywhatsit.

If you are reading this thread via a browser, then at the bottom of the page then you'll see plenty of related threads ;)

Let us know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
@Haltamer is right to recommend one with a power button if you intend to leave it plugged whilst the car is not running, else it'll slowly drain your battery.

We get enough issues with battery's so don't go overloading it.

The ELM unit linked looks identical to mine, works a treat.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
this is the one i've been using recently.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121818045710

it's better than the uber cheap blue one if you are looking to leave it connected or take real time statistics if you are truly looking for Just occasional fault scanning, one of the ELM 327 Scanners will be perfect for you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Won't work on an iPhone though as it's Android.

Don't get anythiing like the following either as they don't work on Civics. I bought one and it worked on every car I tried except for the Civic 8G and 9G.

KONNWEI KW806 Car Can OBD-II OBD-2 Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool Live Code Reader | eBay

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Won't work on an iPhone though as it's Android.

Don't get anythiing like the following either as they don't work on Civics. I bought one and it worked on every car I tried except for the Civic 8G and 9G.

KONNWEI KW806 Car Can OBD-II OBD-2 Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool Live Code Reader | eBay
You should be able to get it working on whatever device as long as there is ONE socfware; The protocol used is generic so there shouldn't be any issues connecting it to an iPhone with an one app, many ads for these just tend to focus on Android as there is the well known torque app, probably the most common and featured.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
You should be able to get it working on whatever device as long as there is ONE socfware; The protocol used is generic so there shouldn't be any issues connecting it to an iPhone with an one app, many ads for these just tend to focus on Android as there is the well known torque app, probably the most common and featured.

Is there an app that allows your iPhone to work alongside Android? I had the Bluetooth one when I had a Samsung but it's now defunct as I've an Apple.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
You can always use a laptop with Bluetooth support and one of the free obd programs, or even an Android emulator.

As far as running Android apps on iPhone, I don't think there is much hope, but as I say, the commands going to the one itself are generic and non proprietary so you should only need to find an obd2 app in the app store. It may not be as fully featured as torque, but it should at least gather any of the error messages that are being produced.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
depends what your looking to read i have 1 very similar to the link below and has always worked on every car ive tried it on and less than a tenner aswell
Engine Scanner Car Fault Code Reader Diagnostic Tester Tool OBD 2 CAN BUS EOBD | eBay
but if your looking to read abs faults aswell then it becomes more expensive and harder to find 1 that works on more than 1 make of car i have the 1 in the link below
Engine ABS Airbag SAS Reset Diagnostic Scan Tool OBD2 Car Code Reader Foxwell | eBay

i only paid £84 for mine as was watching it on amazon when they had a 24hour sale
link below to place i bought mine
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjv8NmhlozXAhUBa1AKHaPTAIAQFghKMAA&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxwell-Engine-Airbag-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0158JD6SU&usg=AOvVaw39PAw7YF1oFFmXNWep4LI3

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
You can always use a laptop with Bluetooth support and one of the free obd programs, or even an Android emulator.

As far as running Android apps on iPhone, I don't think there is much hope, but as I say, the commands going to the one itself are generic and non proprietary so you should only need to find an obd2 app in the app store. It may not be as fully featured as torque, but it should at least gather any of the error messages that are being produced.

If you want to use an Apple device, then you can get an ELM327 that links using Wi-Fi, rather than Bluetooth (which needs greater hardware functionality than Apple devices can offer). There are Apple apps that allow the device to display the data, but I don't recall their names.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you want to use an Apple device, then you can get an ELM327 that links using Wi-Fi, rather than Bluetooth (which needs greater hardware functionality than Apple devices can offer). There are Apple apps that allow the device to display the data, but I don't recall their names.
I use an app called DashCommand on my iPhone. Works a treat with a Wi-fi ELM327 device as Jon suggests.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
depends what your looking to read i have 1 very similar to the link below and has always worked on every car ive tried it on and less than a tenner aswell
Engine Scanner Car Fault Code Reader Diagnostic Tester Tool OBD 2 CAN BUS EOBD | eBay
but if your looking to read abs faults aswell then it becomes more expensive and harder to find 1 that works on more than 1 make of car i have the 1 in the link below
Engine ABS Airbag SAS Reset Diagnostic Scan Tool OBD2 Car Code Reader Foxwell | eBay

i only paid £84 for mine as was watching it on amazon when they had a 24hour sale
link below to place i bought mine
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjv8NmhlozXAhUBa1AKHaPTAIAQFghKMAA&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxwell-Engine-Airbag-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0158JD6SU&usg=AOvVaw39PAw7YF1oFFmXNWep4LI3
did you have any trouble updating your 630 pro ?

iv'e got one of these and it was an absolute nightmare to update
updating the SD card was easy enough through the supplied software but once updated it just didn't work in the 630 pro the thing wouldn't boot with the SD card in

i eventually got it working again with the original software that came with it from a backup but even cloning a working card to another 8 gig sd card doesn't seem to work

when it's up and working it's a great tool but trying to ge an updated card to work is a different story

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
did you have any trouble updating your 630 pro ?

iv'e got one of these and it was an absolute nightmare to update
updating the SD card was easy enough through the supplied software but once updated it just didn't work in the 630 pro the thing wouldn't boot with the SD card in

i eventually got it working again with the original software that came with it from a backup but even cloning a working card to another 8 gig sd card doesn't seem to work

when it's up and working it's a great tool but trying to ge an updated card to work is a different story
only updated it once or maybe twice
once i figured it out it was ok
aparantly the instructions i got with mine were for the older model the 1 i got was latest version but before foxwell got back to me id found instructions on there website and follwed them
where did you buy from im reading some stories about people buying some fake foxwell scanners that dont work as they should

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
only updated it once or maybe twice
once i figured it out it was ok
aparantly the instructions i got with mine were for the older model the 1 i got was latest version but before foxwell got back to me id found instructions on there website and follwed them
where did you buy from im reading some stories about people buying some fake foxwell scanners that dont work as they should
it was bought from here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0158JD6SU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
it says they are used but look brand new to me, i suspect they are returns
maybe somebody has tried to update them and had the problems i did and just returned it

whilst reading about them other people have had the same problem and managed to get them back up and running by just keep trying the update which is basically what i did

once the software is working it does what it should and works just fine
i'm still playing with a second SD card to try and work out what is different to a working card and non working card with the same software on both and it's proving a bit of a challenge
even a sector by sector image clone doesn't work

i'l work it out in the end :)

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
i did look at some that were similar claimed they were ex demo models but too be honest were more than some new ones id seen but i almost did get 1 before looking round
ive just looked and its the same place i bought mine but sure mine was new

1 - 16 of 16 Posts