2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows how to get under the carpet to get hold of a coin.

The coin basically found its way under the left rear rail on the passenger seat tried to get it out but managed to push it in even further. It seems the coin has made its way between the bare metal and the black carpet (which is under the red carpet).

Here's an image although its showing the drivers side its actually the other side but in the exact same location were the yellow circle is.

I tried removing the seat but one of the bolts is just turning and not loosening. Was wondering if I could just someone how remove some trim from the door frame and stick my hand underneath the carpet.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
For the sake of £2 at the most, I wouldn't bother!!!
Cannot see it interfering with, or damaging anything.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to have worked its way somewhere metallic and rattles a fair amount now.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
What seat are you trying to remove. There are no front seats in the picture.

Assuming you have removed the front seat, you could try removing the arm rest section of the centre console. It may give you enough access to lift the carpet. You can buy flexible three pronged grabbers which may just about reach. A stick and some blu tac might do it but you run the risk of leaving the blu tac behind.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats not my car in the picture, thats just any image showing the location of where the coin is.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Ah. Apologies for the assumption.

I guess the other option may be to remove the interior side trim to try and lift the carpet or remove the rear seat and try to get access that way.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
What would it look like if you just made a small slit in the carpet to remove it then place some double sided sticky tape under the cut to fix it back down again.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad [smilie=gt_grinz-br:. Plus I am not 100% sure of the exact location. I think it might have moved after going over some rough roads.

[QUOTE="thiswilldo, post: 2396386, member: 137"]What would it look like if you just made a small slit in the carpet to remove it then place some double sided sticky tape under the cut to fix it back down again.[/quote]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Haha this will sound strange but.... Try getting yourself a magnet :D and move it to somewhere you can access it

·
Registered
286 Posts
What would it look like if you just made a small slit in the carpet to remove it then place some double sided sticky tape under the cut to fix it back down again.
Perfect solution^^^. Locate coin. Make small slit with Stanley knife. Remove coin. Repair underside of slit with double sided carpet tape. Job done. You'll never see the join.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
i think you'll find quite a few UK coins are very magnetic with the exception of pound coins and 2 pound coins and maybe 50p's

try it it might surprise you :)
Surprised.....shocked more like. 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p all magnetic. The rest are not. Mind you I think it may be a struggle to get a normal magnet move a coin under two layers of carpet is another issue but certainly worth a try.

Apologies for my previous post and thanks for correcting me.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Sorry for going a little off topic but I did a bit more research on this. The following is taken from the Royal Mint Museum website.

"As a result of the rising price of base metals, the composition of 1p and 2p coins was changed from bronze to copper-plated steel in 1992. Since then all 1p and 2p coins intended for circulation have been struck in copper-plated steel, with the exception of a quantity of 1998-dated 2p coins which were produced in the traditional bronze.
Likewise, the composition of 5p and 10p coins was changed from cupro-nickel to nickel-plated steel in 2011.

Plated steel coins have the same weight and diameter as those issued in the traditional alloys but their steel core makes them magnetic."

So, if Vyse knows the coin value and date the magnet option may work.

Anyway - they say you learn something new every day and the above goes to show its true.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, how the hell did this thread end up being a magnet discussion? LOL :p

Yep, the coin is a 50p so I think they are not magnetic. I have pretty thin fingers so if I can lift the carpet from the side I'll try to do that.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I think trying to locate it's exact position so the lifting of carpet is minimal.

ps: just to add injury to the thread I've just tried a magnet and I have 2 x 2014 10p's that are indeed highly magnetic. I've learnt something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts