2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Get the engine warm and then introduce VTEC :)

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Put some radiator relief in the coolant it warms up much faster and keeps the engine cooler than just the standard honda coolant, this stuff really works a treat you can see the difference on the temp dial.
Nimbus Motorsport – DEI Radiator Relief

my car is up to temp in about 1-2 minutes depending on outside temp. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Am I missing the point here? The coolant warms up faster? Shouldn't that be a bad thing??

I'd have thought fot VTecing it, it would be the oil temperature that would be of most concern. I always give it ten minutes to ensure the oil is fully heated before giving it some right foot!!

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
Am I missing the point here? The coolant warms up faster? Shouldn't that be a bad thing??

I'd have thought fot VTecing it, it would be the oil temperature that would be of most concern. I always give it ten minutes to ensure the oil is fully heated before giving it some right foot!!
I was thinking this too
The temp gauge is for the water
The important one for Vtec is oil temp

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Not too sure about this either.

Oil temperature and pressure are what are important.

Surely allowing the coolant to heat up quicker is just fooling you into believing that the engine is warm before it really is.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
If the coolant warms up faster the engine warms up faster so the oil warms up faster. when the correct temp is reached the additive keeps it at a stable lower temp than would normally be reached. All good as this helps combustion and lessons oil cook off. I have never added a single drop of oil since new only on the service and car has done nearly 15000 miles. The temp gauge needle is also sitting lower than without the additive so it must IMO work. :)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
If the coolant warms up faster the engine warms up faster so the oil warms up faster. when the correct temp is reached the additive keeps it at a stable lower temp than would normally be reached. All good as this helps combustion and lessons oil cook off. I have never added a single drop of oil since new only on the service and car has done nearly 15000 miles. The temp gauge needle is also sitting lower than without the additive so it must IMO work. :)
But it is not the coolant heating the engine - it is the engine heating the coolant. That is where I struggle with this logic.

There are loads of posts on forums about this stuff and everyone seems to think it is great. The lowering of the operating temperature seems to be proven in tests and this can have value if you are running hot - it is just the warm up bit I am not sure about.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Surely if the coolant warms up faster it is because the coolant is conducting more heat away from the engine, so the engine is not getting hot as quickly as it would normally.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Surely if the coolant warms up faster it is because the coolant is conducting more heat away from the engine, so the engine is not getting hot as quickly as it would normally.
Exactly my point.

I have been trying to read their claims on the interweb and if I understand it correctly they say that the magic formula makes the fluid pick up heat more easily.

If it works, this would mean that at operating temperature you are more efficiently cooling the engine.
It also means you will have hot air for heating the inside of the car quicker.

So when you think the engine is warm, it is not.

But it also means that during warm up, at any given coolant temperature the oil temperature will be lower than without the additive.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
It is all about the transfer of heat. The engine must heat the coolant as the coolant does not heat itself, so if the coolant can hold more heat that heat will transfer back to the engine as well as being cooled by the radiator. In turn that transfer back of the coolant heat will heat the engine oil faster until the optimum heat transfer of all the engine components has been reached then the system is stabilised upto 30 degrees less than standard engine temps. If i am correct all the engine components are of similar temps until the coolant passes through the radiator at which point it is cooled slightly until it passes again through the engine and so on and so forth. So at no point is the oil, coolant, engine at different temps to a large degree.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
The engine must heat the coolant as the coolant does not heat itself
Agreed.

so if the coolant can hold more heat that heat will transfer back to the engine
That is what I am struggling with.
I can´t prove it wrong right now with rules of physics however.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
The thing is with energy though, the engine will only produce so much in the form of heat, so if there is more heat in the coolant there must be less in the engine. So if the coolant warms up faster than usual I think the engine will warm up more slowly than usual.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
The thing is with energy though, the engine will only produce so much in the form of heat, so if there is more heat in the coolant there must be less in the engine. So if the coolant warms up faster than usual I think the engine will warm up more slowly than usual.
Right.

We agree the cooling system is more efficient.

Therefore it should take long for the oil to heat up.

Unless the coolant re-heats the engine but I am not so sure about that.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts