2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
60 plate 2.2 cdti si Has anybody got any idea how to close of the air to the drivers side vent, i have closed the vent but air stiil comes out?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is hot air coming from any vent? If it is try using the maunal control and select footwell and windscreen. This allows a small amount of hot air to circulate from the small vent by the window and stops cold air circulating from the window.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have been using it on auto so will start using on manual until the air warms up then change to auto.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I never use auto.

The drivers large vent is turned off by sitching the arrows pointed at the guys head off :p
The smaller vent on the drivers side is part of the windscreen venting, blowing air to clear side windows :)

In this season i leave the heater on "High" (29?) and just change the airflow (power and direction).
In Summer I do the same but with it on "Low" :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
I never use auto.

The drivers large vent is turned off by sitching the arrows pointed at the guys head off :p
The smaller vent on the drivers side is part of the windscreen venting, blowing air to clear side windows :)

In this season i leave the heater on "High" (29?) and just change the airflow (power and direction).
In Summer I do the same but with it on "Low" :p
Like you I rarely use auto as I find it hard to heat the car to my liking. I tried your method yesterday and it cerainly improves the heating in the footwell, but the car got a bit too warm so I needed to turn it down. Missed your post last winter when I found it impossible to keep my feet warm but will definitely try it more this winter.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
In this season i leave the heater on "High" (29?)
In Summer I do the same but with it on "Low"
Seems like you would be better with a basic 2 position switch - hot or cold. :)

Seriously though, do you not find that high gets far too warm, and low gets too cold for comfort...even on our hottest days?

You said you dont use auto, but do you have the air con turned on?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Seems like you would be better with a basic 2 position switch - hot or cold. :)

Seriously though, do you not find that high gets far too warm, and low gets too cold for comfort...even on our hottest days?

You said you dont use auto, but do you have the air con turned on?
I find it can get a bit warm on full heat but reducing the fan speed helps. At least its better than getting blasted by cold air and draughts when the auto system turns the heat off. Oh, anthing for a manual heating system in my opinion far better than climate control.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Auto @ 21 all the time for me... If I get a bit chilly in the winter I notch up to 22 or maybe 23 for a bit.

This morning was a bit fresh and cold leather was a shock! .... heated seats used for the first time this year :)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Auto @ 21 all the time for me... If I get a bit chilly in the winter I notch up to 22 or maybe 23 for a bit.

This morning was a bit fresh and cold leather was a shock! .... heated seats used for the first time this year :)
+1

I just leave it on auto at 21 degrees and very rarely need to adjust it. I don't understand why people don't use it.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
At least its better than getting blasted by cold air and draughts when the auto system turns the heat off. Oh, anthing for a manual heating system in my opinion far better than climate control.
The ability to select a specific temperature(together with air con)is an integral part of climate control whether you choose to use full auto or not, but im surprised that you get "blasted by cold air" when in a heat setting on auto. I never use auto when wanting heat, but surely an ideally functioning system should vary the heat gradually, not be a case of on or off?
I rarely use the full auto setting, but certainly dont agree that a manual system is better.
This would be like taking a backward step.

My main reason for not regularly using full auto - the compressor can be embarrassingly loud in operation, so i only tend to only use it when wantin to cool the car down quickly when i first get in.

You say you would prefer a manual heating system, so does this mean you dont use the air con?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The ability to select a specific temperature(together with air con)is an integral part of climate control whether you choose to use full auto or not, but im surprised that you get "blasted by cold air" when in a heat setting on auto. I never use auto when wanting heat, but surely an ideally functioning system should vary the heat gradually, not be a case of on or off?
I rarely use the full auto setting, but certainly dont agree that a manual system is better.
This would be like taking a backward step.

My main reason for not regularly using full auto - the compressor can be embarrassingly loud in operation, so i only tend to only use it when wantin to cool the car down quickly when i first get in.

You say you would prefer a manual heating system, so does this mean you dont use the air con?
When using the heating system in either manual or auto modes the temerature of air reduces as the cabin cabin heats up and finally reaches a temperture where coupled with the cold drafts in the footwell, worse on the right hand side. The only way to keep heated air entering the cabin is to turn the temperature to max.

Setting a temperature may keep the cabin temperture even but does not prevent the footwell cooling. Using aircon with the heating only makes the situation worse!

One dealer even repositioned one of the heater outlets to give more heat to the right hand side of the footwell, whilst an improvement has not cured the problem.

Yes, I do use aircon to cool or demist the car when necessary and once a week to keep it operational.

In my opinion the manual system on the 7th generation was far superior.

However if anyone has any suggestions they will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
When using the heating system in either manual or auto modes the temerature of air reduces as the cabin cabin heats up and finally reaches a temperture where coupled with the cold drafts in the footwell, worse on the right hand side. The only way to keep heated air entering the cabin is to turn the temperature to max.

Setting a temperature may keep the cabin temperture even but does not prevent the footwell cooling. Using aircon with the heating only makes the situation worse!

One dealer even repositioned one of the heater outlets to give more heat to the right hand side of the footwell, whilst an improvement has not cured the problem.

Yes, I do use aircon to cool or demist the car when necessary and once a week to keep it operational.

In my opinion the manual system on the 7th generation was far superior.

However if anyone has any suggestions they will be appreciated.
I think you need to go back to your dealer if the footwell is getting that cold... Sounds like a fault.

Read this and try the diagnostic menu....

Climate Control - Civinfo Wiki

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Climate_Control#Diagnostic_Tests

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think you need to go back to your dealer if the footwell is getting that cold... Sounds like a fault.

Read this and try the diagnostic menu....

I tried the test on the wiki and all readings and adjustments seemed OK.

Its been back about 6 times to 3 different dealers, the 3rd dealer was arranged through Honda UK as I wrote to the Chief Executive wanting a total refund on a car that to me was not fit for purpose.

The third dealer modified the outlet with some improvement, but the first two just agreed the problem was a known characteristic of Civic's and nothing could be done. This was actually confirmed by Honda UK.

Its better than it was but still not as good as other cars I've driven hence using the heating in full manual mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts