2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting up from cold my wife's Type R jerks and hesitates for about 2 or 3 minutes. I am an old car nut and if it was one of those I would replace the points but not here of course. Its done this since new (7 years) Honda dealer has always said that no fault code shows and cant find/says there's no problem. Its been in 4 times but have now given up and just put up with it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
When starting up from cold my wife's Type R jerks and hesitates for about 2 or 3 minutes. I am an old car nut and if it was one of those I would replace the points but not here of course. Its done this since new (7 years) Honda dealer has always said that no fault code shows and cant find/says there's no problem. Its been in 4 times but have now given up and just put up with it. Any ideas?
Mine does the same and so I leave it on idle for 5-10 mins every morning before heading off then take it easy for another 5-10 mins until the temp builds up. Might be a common trait with the engine.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I found switching to super unleaded fuel really helped (specifically Shell V-Power). I thought it was a placebo effect at first so I switched back to 95 for a while and the stuttering came back.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Try driving between 2300 - 3000rpm when the engine is cold and the hesitation will barely be noticeable. Avoid harsh acceleration. It's only when I'm driving around 2000rpm and below that I find it hesitates.

Nothing wrong with the car, you have to remember that it has 200bhp from a 2.0 litre engine, lightweight flywheel and instant throttle response, so it's not abnormal to have these symptoms when cold, just use the above driving technique and it will make the drive smoother when the engine/gearbox are cold.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
And also, avoid supermarket fuel, it's cheap for a reason and I always find my car giving less mpg/performance.

It might even make it hesitate more, best to use normal unleaded 95 octane from major fuel suppliers. I personally prefer shell/bp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, biggest problem is we live by a set of traffic lights so getting away and keeping revs up is hard as its stop start. I do think people are too accepting of problems like this using the excuse of its got 200bhp high performance and the rest. Having worked in the motor industry as an experimental fitter in the 70's it would not have been brushed away to have these sort of issues. My sons home built 300bhp+ and 334 lbs torque Volvo 940 doesn't drive poorly nor my mates 200bhp supercharged ST170 Focus powered Mk1 Cortina nor my Pinto EFi 1966 Ford Corsair so it is possible to get it right.

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
The problem is caused by Honda rev the engines around 2200rpm - 1500rpm while cold but when you are coasting as will all cars they shut down the fuel to the injectors hence when you keep just pressing the throttle a little then coast it makes the car jumpy. I dont see what you problem is we have to reverse of the drive and then drive in a quite housing estate and to be honest never had any problems at all so I seem to think if its a such a major problem for you and not for others then its your driving style.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It should only be slightly miss firing on warm up, I believe Honda do this deliberately to get heat into the engine quicker, if you are having trouble accelerating away then that sounds more serious. But like people have said try a good quality fuel first (if you haven't already of course) specifically Vpower or Nitro+ as it's called now from Shell. Oil/Airfilter/Plugs would be next on my list, then finally sensors. The car will always be a tad jerky for stop start traffic while your engine is warming though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My cars always done this and I've had it from new, I found that using Shell Nitro (V Power) helps a lot, dont use regular cheap supermarket brands. I've tried BP and all the others and now only use Shell as its more effective.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
This isn't a problem, it's a feature of the engine. My EP3 and FN2 both are like this. Not anything you can't drive around though. Just avoid harsh acceleration when cold (which you should be doing anyway for your engines sake) and keep the revs low below 2-3k rpm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts