2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we've had several cold/frosty mornings so far this winter, I've noticed that in comparison to any other car I've owned, the condensation inside the 10G seems extreme when attempting to demist the windscreen.

Condensation increasingly builds up on the drivers instrument panel (on the outside), the rear view mirror fogs up too. Prior to running the demister the instrument panel and rear view mirror is 'clear'.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes aircon is switched on. When pressing the Front demister button, the aircon is switched on.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I bought some silica gel from eBay in a bag and placed on dashboard at night it solved the problem for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
I have my climate control set at 21c all year round and in the winter it warms the cabin and in the summer it cools it and keeps any condensation away too. Silica Gel is good but you need to put it in the Oven or Microwave every now and then.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Every couple of months in the microwave according to the instructions,it has a an indicator on it though to tell you when it needs doing. I also keep the climate on but I find it's nowhere near as good as my old 2007 CRV, I miss that car very much.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
A lot of people don't take advantage of the A/C or Climate Control and wonder why the gas has escaped come the hot weather due to the seals drying up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mines seems fine but only had it a few weeks. Had a few frosty mornings though and it had far less condensation than my old civic used to get. New one clears fast too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mines seems fine but only had it a few weeks. Had a few frosty mornings though and it had far less condensation than my old civic used to get. New one clears fast too.
That is interesting. That is nothing like mine. My 9G was always instant demist when i hit demist button and low condensation in general. On 10g I feel like de-mist button operator rather then a driver. I have to press the freaking thing every 2 minutes for 10s and first few km I am driving blind. It takes ages to demist this car.

I bought two humongous silica bags. They did help quite a lot (I keep each under seats) but now after a month it is back to beginning which means I have to microwave them.

The interesting fact is - when the bags were working really well I would get into the car in the morning - it would be mist free - but if I would forgot to turn off AC when I was parking the car day before and it would start with the car in the morning the humidity from outside drawn with AC would insta-mist the car in 2 seconds.

In 9g there were passive dampness absorbers built in. I do not think 10g has them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dunno. I just know that the recent icy mornings all I've done is get in the car. Set temp to high and hit the demist button. A few mins later I'm driving out my street with the AC off and it's fine. Its definitely weird how sometimes using the ac while driving can make the condensation really bad as soon as I turn it off again.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Its not the A/C per se. Its the blower blowing damp air onto a cold windscreen. The A/C dries the air and lessens that effect, and demist button switches the A/C on for that very reason.
When you switch off the A/C you will be circulating damper air which will condense as mentioned above.

·
i-Vtec
1,506 Posts
Its definitely weird how sometimes using the ac while driving can make the condensation really bad as soon as I turn it off again.
If you use the Recirc button remember to turn it off when you turn the AC off. It may also be worth checking the pollen filter is clean and fresh, people forget about them as they are out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Checked mine again and with Auto and sync on, the display shows me the state of the fan speed and the air distribution icon.
Neither the AC on or off indicators are lit, and if you touch one, the auto light goes out.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Every couple of months in the microwave according to the instructions,it has a an indicator on it though to tell you when it needs doing. I also keep the climate on but I find it's nowhere near as good as my old 2007 CRV, I miss that car very much.

How long you putting yours in the Microwave for? I have 2 in my car but the instructions just said to leave on a radiator for 24 hrs. Cheers

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Not had to do it yet only had them a month but the instructions said for 2 minutes and see if stram stops appearing if it appears keep doung 2 minute intervalls until no steam is seen.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Not had to do it yet only had them a month but the instructions said for 2 minutes and see if stram stops appearing if it appears keep doung 2 minute intervalls until no steam is seen.

Thanks for the info. .

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Sorry for the poor spelling in my last post, I have big hands and fingers and phone keyboards are a nightmare

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Sorry for the poor spelling in my last post, I have big hands and fingers and phone keyboards are a nightmare

lol Not a problem, appreciate the info. I can't spell, nothing to do with my fingers :p

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Precisely as M8TJT described.
It was always 'standard demisting procedure' in high humidity areas, like Ghana after it had rained.
I'm finding that as well - it should clear once the cabin warms up.

Air's capacity to contain moisture increases as the temperature increases, hence 'relative humidity' - that's relative to absolute capacity.

When cold it's VERY LOW, hence why it condenses, and on areas which are most cold, like windows, so it's a combination of warming up the cabin - to increase the contained air's capacity to hold the moisture as airborne - and dehumidifying by using the A/C.

Al.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts