2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find this annoying?
I'm finding it quite disturbing to be honest!!
I'm sure there's an option to switch off, but I don't want to change too many things - one day they could save somebody's life despite the annoyance!

Soon after I received it, in the beginning of October last year, I tried using the cruise control like I always used to in my 8G - set at 33 mph (I'm honest!) to avoid any hidden cameras, and it slammed on the brakes when sweeping around a right hand curve - reason was there was a car parked on the kerb I had clearly seen and was easily avoiding, which it considered a 'potential accident'.
Thing was, if anyone was behind, I would probably have had an accident, with them!! Fortunately nobody was.

Just a few days ago, lesson long-since learnt, so no cruise in town (Honda advised not to - only use on the Motorway, etc) and a BMW was turning into a 10 o'clock side road which even I could see was clear, she hadn't slowed and there were no obstructions, so she wasn't going to slow down. I simply maintained my speed, perhaps 10 mph faster as she would be well clear before I arrived at the junction.
YET AGAIN, the collision avoidance or mitigation system slammed on the brakes totally unnecessarily!!
Again, the Gods had deemed it wasn't time for my no claims to be questioned, and nobody was behind!

SAME JOURNEY, 3 minutes later, turning into another road, I saw a female pedestrain at the roadside, obviously intending to cross, so was prepared to brake, and 'gently honk', which I had to as she didn't look and wandered straight into the road.
Collision avoidance? NONE!! THIS should have been where it worked, but only does for vehicles, not pedestrians.

I reckon Honda have this WAY WRONG.
In the real world scheme of things, costs aside, it's considered much more important to avoid causing human harm than simply damaging another vehicle, surely?
Thoughts?

(OK, I could have held back a bit more with the BMW situation, but its not the point.)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes I've had the curve brake situation on mine. Can't be entirely sure if it was the collision mitigation or the ACC as it was on at the time.

However it's weird that it didn't detect the pedestrian. According to the manual it should. I know mine hit the brakes when I was approaching a cyclist in his own cycle lane and me well to the other side of my lane. ACC was on in that occasion as well though.

The system seems too high strung. I think they need to relax the tolerances a bit. Both for the ACC and the cmbs. You know I think you can adjust the cmbs sensitivity (early normal late). Or am I thinking of another system?

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just thinking of potential insurance claims - normal setting and it's slammed on with an Audi too-close behind, as must be written in their owner's manuals as 9/10 do that!! - or even one whereby the owner has changed the default settings, the insurer decided the fault is through 'unauthorised changes' and it doesn't pay out ...

Whatever, 'big brother' seems more an annoyance and hindrance than a help.

Al.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I noticed this behaviour when I first starting using cruise control - well adaptive cruise control as it is now. I used to use cruise control with my old 8G without any issue as it had no 'sensors', you set it and it acted accordingly. I found exactly the same issue with it slamming the brakes on. I have learned to use the manually set speed limiter 'LIM' function now instead - so I just flick it on to say 30MPH then I just keep my foot on the accelerator and adjust accordingly if I need to slow down - it stops you from going over the limit and also takes away the sensor aspect of ACC which causes the slamming the brakes on due to a parked car being in the road.

If I'm in an unfamiliar area at lower speeds I set the speed limiter with sign detection and use it as a fail safe as it's not 100% reliable - I find it detects the speed limit, then if you go around a corner or turn in to a different road - it then clears the limit until it detects another sign.

Not ideal, but on reflection I think I actually prefer my new driving style with LIM - I used to use cruise to keep my speed below the limit in slower areas but had to keep cancelling and re-enabling when I wanted to adjust speed. With the new limiter, it gives you more control but keeps you below the speed limit accordingly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have also noticed on a couple of occasions when there's been a lot of water from rain fall, I've been driving along and then as I've applied the brakes I believe water has sloshed forward and down the car and then poured over the radar sensor, causing it to slam the brakes on. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if this situation was due to CMBS ...

Driving at 45km/h in the city
A pedestrian crosses the street
I saw him
For me there was no need to brake, just let go of the accelerator and everything fine
Then all of a sudden, all brakes applied into ABS even with tire screech
The pedestrian was angry at me that I did as if I had to do an emergency stop

In this case CMBS was way too of an intrusive thing for me

·
Registered
50 Posts
that's what happens if you cover the main sensor of the system, rendering it effectively blind. But yes, good question what happens if a bird happens to sh*t to that spot, which is unlikely, but cannot be excluded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts