2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Could some one please help with how I can paint / colour my door handles and filler cap.

Is this a do it myself ? Or would you get a body shop etc ? And what's best to get the nicest finish, im after doing them black , I want to do them in place on the car as well. just mask them out well.

If anyone can help with tips what to use, and if i should laquer maybe with 2k laquer ?

I want a nice , (no runs) finish but not sure how to achieve ,

If anyone done this I would App the advice, cheers !

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
You could try plastidip or rustoleum peel coat as if you mess it up you can peel and start again, I did my handles and cap with plastidip and just made sure the area around was well masked with news paper to catch any over spray.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Plastidip is not a terrible idea but on high friction areas (like handles which get handled obviously very frequently) they coating does stand the chance of ripping and does not tend to stand up well to pressure washing.

Fair play to Benjy if u have managed to make this last. If I were u I would be going for 2k primer, paint and clearcoat. There are tonnes of how to vids online about exactly how to do this and could be easily achieved with simple rattling cans.

Don't forget handles and filler caps can be easily removed for painting making the process much simpler and preventing accidental over spray.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Plastidip is not a terrible idea but on high friction areas (like handles which get handled obviously very frequently) they coating does stand the chance of ripping and does not tend to stand up well to pressure washing.

Fair play to Benjy if u have managed to make this last. If I were u I would be going for 2k primer, paint and clearcoat. There are tonnes of how to vids online about exactly how to do this and could be easily achieved with simple rattling cans.

Don't forget handles and filler caps can be easily removed for painting making the process much simpler and preventing accidental over spray.

It didn't last so got some carbon fibre covers instead :smile3: after using plastidip and the peel coat, I think the peel coat would last longer as it seems to be the more durable of the 2, halfords sell it for about a tenner, might be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Yeh sounds like a safe bet for a tenner, could always spray after if does end up peeling.

However, some carbon fibre handles and filler caps sounds lush and would look far better than a colour code!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts