2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car about 10 weeks now it has been back to the dealers with a faulty rear light cluster(misting up) and they changed it no problem.The main issue is the colour matching of the blue rear bumper,they have replaced it because the original was a shade darker than the rest of the car.The replacement is now a shade lighter, anyone had the same problem?:mad:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have had problems with colour matching following a respray of a wing, however, the bumper and wings were slightly different shades before that.

What shade of blue do you have?

Also depending on what angle you look at the car from you will notice every panel is a slightly different shade, also the way in which the plastic and metal take the colour is different. Saw a very nice Porsche GT3 the other day, bright orange, except the door handles, front bumper and rear spoiler were a different shade, very subtle, but noticeable only from one angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is Vivid Blue Pearl.Surely these days with all the technolgy available it cant be that difficult to match a plastic part and a metal part.I know what your saying about the angle of viewing but the matching is terrible and sticks out like a sore thumb to me ,perhaps i'm too fussy but the car is going back to the dealer until they get it right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi i have cosmic grey made comment to the dealer when i picked car up that the bumpers looked slightly darker this was explained that the bumpers being plastic they do come up darker than the metal ?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I queried slight colour differences and was told that parts are painted at different times/places. Which is why they can sell spare parts pre-painted.

I'm sure that in the past a car would have all it's parts painted at the same time (the doors, bumpers, bonnet, bootlid etc would be on frames next to the body) so all the parts would have paint from the same batch.

I have the same problem on my 2002 Civic, the bumpers look slightly darker than the rest of the car. At first I thought it was the way the light fell on different angles, but eventually realised it was different!

Terry

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I've yet to spot any difference. Mind you I haven't been looking at the car with this in mind. Maybe when I get my car back I'll get a closer look.

Did you know that Toyota make an identical red to Honda's Milano red? [smilie=lil_red_dev:

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
When considering which car to buy I checked out some Ford Focus forums. Differences in colour between the bumpers and rest of the car was a rather hot topic for the new model, with countless pictures of poorly matched cars. In fact, when I went to a couple of Ford dealers, I was amazed at how bad many of them were.

I think most manufacturers struggle with this issue, with Honda being no exception. There's a slight difference with my Alabaster Silver (much of it down to light angles when viewing), although I think it's a pretty good match.

I think you have to compare your own car with several other Civics in the same shade and then decide if the match is acceptable. Certainly if the first thing family/friends say when viewing your car is "but the bumpers and rest of car don't match!", then you might have a problem :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Several weeks ago my car had a coming together with the Audi owned by my boss, the Audi won! Definitely need to fit rear parking sensors. I took my car to a private body shop who repaired and resprayed the panel and the colour match is excellent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm now on to my third bumper (they had to nick it off of a demonstrator) i think the match is about the best i can get - perfect on one side and a slight difference on the other. This is with the car turned around so it is seen in the same light.So much for Honda quality,by the way the replaced rear boot light cluster is misting up again,ah well back to the dealer to get it changed again.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
the bumpers on my milano red civic are in black primer, the rest of the car is white primer. the tail gate is also plastic but this looks lighter than the rear bumper, and the the bumpers match the rest of the car.

i to had a new bumper due to dealer error and was a totaly different colour due to a near perfect/no orange peal paint job from honda, so that come off and my old 1 went back on, would rather have a 100% orange peel paint than a miss matched one.

its all down to how the quality of the paint job and how the light is on the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi My mate works in a bodyshop and has tried to explain it to me as I have a slight difference on my Civic. Obviously, plastic parts can't have the same painting process as metal panels (it would melt in the oven!). But also he's tried to explain that metal is positvely charged & plastic is negatively charged (or the other way round), becauseof this the metal particles in metallic paint settle slightly differently which when reflected can appear to be a different shade. This said, some of the vehicles I have seen are quite nad in terms of colour match!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
In the next village to me, sits one of the new Audi R8 supercars.
Its white, with black side panels, behind the doors. ( Just like the T.V. Ad )
GREAT looking car, but as I drive by it of a morning ( he keeps it parked in the lane :confused: ), I can see that the plastic panels, are slightly darker than the main panels.
At 68k + extras, If it could be done, it would be. Tis a plastic/ metal thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts