2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted on here in a good while, sold my 08 civic diesel at the beginning of this year to buy a mk1 mx5 which i have had for the summer and its been great fun, so much so that the gf went and bought a mk3.

So.. it seems silly to me to have two mx5's, fun yes practical no.

I had been looking at buying an ATR but with limited numbers about there isnt many for sale, and although im still looking for them I have decided that I will settle for an Accord type s

Part of the reason for a more practical car is at least one euro trip planned next year, if not 2

So is anyone on here running a type s? any and all info welcome

Cheers

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well drove a 2.4 on Saturday and really wasn't impressed, the ride was very comfy and quiet, handled really nicely.
Felt dreadfully slow, although lots of traffic about so couldn't really open it up at all
And the brakes felt awful as well
Hard to tell whether this was a fault with the car or my driving as havent driven another to compare it too?

It's not completely put me off the accord is still tip of my list, will just have to try and drive another one to see if its the same or better

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I think it's that the power in a 2.4 is delivered right up at the top of the rev range - especially compared to a mapped Derv and it is not a particularly torquey engine at the best of times.

You can play around with that a bit, and lower the VTEC point, but it'll still not have that immediate torque you'd get with the CTDi.

PS - Which gen did you drive and was it manual or auto? Manual 2.4s are pretty few and far between!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's that the power in a 2.4 is delivered right up at the top of the rev range - especially compared to a mapped Derv and it is not a particularly torquey engine at the best of times.

You can play around with that a bit, and lower the VTEC point, but it'll still not have that immediate torque you'd get with the CTDi.

PS - Which gen did you drive and was it manual or auto? Manual 2.4s are pretty few and far between!
Thanks for the info was just what I wanted to hear really, I did think that there was more power higher up but due to traffic couldn't tell tbh, the model accord I drove was a 2003 manual 6 speed in black
I had a 08 civic diesel which wasn't mapped

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
TBH, I think any Petrol car will feel a bit gutless after a TD - you're just used to the power being delivered in a different part of the rev range. Takes a bit of familiarisation.

Still hasn't stopped me deciding on a 2.4 as the likely car to replace the current CTDi. Just not yet, that's all!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TBH, I think any Petrol car will feel a bit gutless after a TD - you're just used to the power being delivered in a different part of the rev range. Takes a bit of familiarisation.

Still hasn't stopped me deciding on a 2.4 as the likely car to replace the current CTDi. Just not yet, that's all!
I've got a mk1 mx5 at the moment and it felt slow compared to that lol
I think it's partly due to it being so refined you don't think your accelerating as quick as you are? If that makes sense

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
When I got my first petrol car after a diesel I took it back to the garage because I was sure there was something wrong with it :D

(That was along time ago mind you! ;) )

The lack of a 'shove' of torque makes it feel slower than it is in many ways.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked it up last night :) well pleased with it, auto gearbox is great around the city and the tiptronic? Works great when you want to give it some
Taking it away this weekend for a few days so will see how it gets on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts