2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've had my FN2 for a year now. In that time I have driven a few FN2s all suffered from the same issue.

Why does the car feel "jerky" when your coming off the throttle? Its a bit like harsh engine breaking.

Its really annoying, if someone can tell me what it is I'll look into if that part can be replaced with a third party product to try and solve it.

My car did it long before I fitted any mods so its not related to that.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
My EP3 does this.

If I hang my car in 2nd gear at 4-5000rpm and don't change up (coming off of empty, large, fast roundabouts springs to mind) - then enter vtec when the road conditions allow coming off the roundabout - I find that if I don't change up and basically release the throttle and enduce 'overun' - my car violently jerks until the engine reduces to a much lower rpm.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My EP3 does this.

If I hang my car in 2nd gear at 4-5000rpm and don't change up (coming off of empty, large, fast roundabouts springs to mind) - then enter vtec when the road conditions allow coming off the roundabout - I find that if I don't change up and basically release the throttle and enduce 'overun' - my car violently jerks until the engine reduces to a much lower rpm.
I get exactly that. I also get it if say im doing 30mph in 3rd gear I come off the throttle.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All my cars have done this TBH, some more violently than others. Don't think its anything to worry about.
I'm not worried about it, Im just wondering why it does it.

My previous cars didnt do it. That includes a Civic 1.8 ES 2006, Corsa 1.4 2006, and Fiesta Zetec S 1.4.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also worth noting TDI South tried to iron it out with the throttle map but no luck.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
I get exactly that. I also get it if say im doing 30mph in 3rd gear I come off the throttle.
Can't say I've experienced this bro.

I normally suffer from it when being a chump in 2nd gear. I mean really ragging it - like using 2nd gear to drive; when I should probably change up when I'm not looking for acceleration/when I'm cruising.

However I drive in 2nd gear and keep prodding the pedal when on the thrash - (basically keeping VTEC on hand and close by - but also staying legal). When I step off is when it often occurs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hello,

I've had my FN2 for a year now. In that time I have driven a few FN2s all suffered from the same issue.

Why does the car feel "jerky" when your coming off the throttle? Its a bit like harsh engine breaking.

Its really annoying, if someone can tell me what it is I'll look into if that part can be replaced with a third party product to try and solve it.

My car did it long before I fitted any mods so its not related to that.

Any ideas anyone?
Did you switch off the throttle dampener Ash? Works quite well.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi mate,

Doesn't that affect 1st gear only? Also I cannot see it in the throttle section of my map. I've got advanced options turned on. Where abouts is it?

Thanks mate

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi mate,

Doesn't that affect 1st gear only? Also I cannot see it in the throttle section of my map. I've got advanced options turned on. Where abouts is it?

Thanks mate
Ah your talking about a MAP cal, I'm running a MAF cal at present :(

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
Could it be the cat restricting the flow? I remember I had a decat pipe on 182 I had a few years ago and that got rid of it.

Ive seen you've got the Toda manifold & HKS but I dont know if you had a cat.

Just an idea

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could it be the cat restricting the flow? I remember I had a decat pipe on 182 I had a few years ago and that got rid of it.

Ive seen you've got the Toda manifold & HKS but I dont know if you had a cat.

Just an idea
Hi mate,

I havent welded a cat in the manifold or after it.

I dont have a cat.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don't have to worry all my previous honda have done this including my type-r ,i consider it normal
I'm not worried about it, I am just wondering why it does it? Any ideas?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking, is it a characteristic of the engine? Being NA? Harsh engine breaking when low gear hence less resistance on the engine?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts