2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1.5 CVT Prestige is now with my local Honda for niggle rectifications and have already noticed that the 1.0 EX Manual I have as a courtesy car shares some of the same issues.

It has a noisy headliner which creaks and cracks when driving (no noises from the sunroof as mine does though).

The A Pillar makes a buzzing noise randomly when driving (which stops when finger pressed on the trim).

Sat Nav wandering issue.

It does not have the aircon whistle, but I understand this doesn't affect the 1.0 models?

I think these issues are clearly very common and possibly affect all new Civic's. I guess it's how sensitive the owner is to noticing these issues, and whether they even report them as issues, which is why Honda perhaps don't have rectifications to all the problems yet with a relatively new model.

I hope to collect my Civic later today/tomorrow and will report how things have gone.

I feel confident the aircon whistle will be resolved as they said they ordered a part for it specifically. The other issues, I can only remain hopeful.

The 1.0 engine with the manual gearbox is surprisingly okay in comparison to the 1.5 CVT, but it does growl and snarl a lot more. The MPG is only a few single digits higher than my 1.5 CVT. So really other than vehicle excise duty savings, and purchase price there's no other benefits I can see.

I have caught myself spying the new Toyota Corolla possibly, as I don't think I can 'live' with this £30k brand new car if these issues aren't dealt with. I would rather keep my Civic but I've never had such 'quality issues' with any car I've ever owned - even my first car - a 12 year old (then) used Vauxhall Nova! Seemingly from others the roof rattle doesn't appear to have been resolved permanently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shame you're having problems. I would imagine the air con and A pillar issues will be fixed easily. Let me know what happens with the headliner - I think I am having the same issue, at certain speeds/road surfaces I get a plastic on plastic sound. Confident it isn't the sunroof else I feel it would be much louder and more apparent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Prestige issues mate.

I must say, on my Prestige, I've not encountered a single fault that you have mentioned in a few threads - quite worrying when you consider both cars were assembled on the same line!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have exactly the same noisy headlining issue with various creaks, cracks and popping sounds coming from mostly around the front edge of the sunroof aperture but also right above my head.
Pushing and prodding it demonstrates the noises very well. I now have a row of small bulldog clips all along the top edge of the liner, and whilst it doesn't look great, it has helped somewhat.
However some days, particularly if the car has been out in the sun, it's totally quiet, other days it's really bad and annoying. Maybe I should take mine back and ask for a new headliner, but I guess that would probably mean taking the windscreen out, and I'm not sure if trying to solve one problem might cause more!

I had the door protector strips fitted to mine from new, but after only 8 months they were hanging off on the passenger side, so I had to have those replaced, twice, as the first repair job Honda did, didn't work and they came off again.

I've also got wind noise from the drivers door and an intermittent rattle from deep within the dash somewhere.

I feel exactly the same as you insofar as that I've never had a brand new, and fairly expensive car with so many niggles and quality issues before, and it is apparent that these are very widespread.

Other than those niggles, I love the Civic as a car, this is my third brand new one on the trot and my fifth overall, I even had a 1st gen back in the early 80s and they've come a long way since then!

·
Registered
40 Posts
However some days, particularly if the car has been out in the sun, it's totally quiet, other days it's really bad and annoying.

I've also got wind noise from the drivers door and an intermittent rattle from deep within the dash somewhere.
Same with me, car feels a little creaky on cold days and a few noises stop once it has warmed up. Random, but I can live with it.

Rattle deep in the dash - I saw a random thread (I think it was on an American forum) where someone described something similar and it turned out to be a cable in the engine bay positioned close to the cabin. It just needed securing. I will try and find this for you, there was a video with it as well.

Bit vague on that point but it might help. From memory I would describe the cable location as engine bay, in line with drivers left hand from seating position, approx 30 cm down into the bay, against the "wall/partition" to the cabin.

Or you have a Swindon workerss coke can knocking around in there :grin2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear another of us 10G Civic owners is being tormented by annoyances Bonsai! Do you have the air con whistle too?

I did feel somewhat elated when I collected my car recentl,y after having the air con noise and roof rattling addressed. However, now the roof rattle is back I am annoyed. Annoyed that I have to take it back again, hope they can fix it for good this time, and probably drive it away with the issue resolved - but for how long. The whole quality feel has gone out of the window. Such a shame as the car is so very brilliant in many ways.

If I can't get it resolved with Honda on this second attempt I will write a formal letter to Honda UK and see what happens from there. Fingers crossed it's fixed once and for all this time. This is turning out to be a very emotional car!

KhabibSmesh - Glad you can live with it. If this was my first Honda I may feel different, but as it's my third and have never had niggles or annoyances whatsoever previously, I just can't let it go - it feels shoddy to have this creakiness. The other rattles are less frequent, but again compared to my other Honda's I've just never had them. I'd be interested to see the possible solution to the engine bay cable too.

Just a thought - My 7G and 8G Civic's were not first editions - my 7G was I think a year before they released the first 8G and my 8G was the last year they were producing them. I wonder if that allowed Honda to go through all the teething problems we're having with first or second year productions, and as they face lifted and revised the production process ironed out the quibbles?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a June 2018 Sport Turbo which I bought new, with issues.

It has the the air con whistle which will be rectified at the first service in May, I also have an intermittent rattle on the drivers side A pillar trim which will be rectified at the first service in May.

Recently the alarm software had to be reloaded to stop the alarm sounding intermittently.

My main concern is the clutch judder which has appeared at the 6500 mile mark. It judders when taking off from standstill in first gear, and when changing down from third gear to second gear. It will be interesting to hear what the dealership has to say about this issue.

I have put all of the above in writing to the dealership service manager.

For the last 25 years I have owned Mazda and Toyota cars with no issues at all, this is my first Honda. I'm seriously thinking about trading in the Honda for the new Mazda 3.

It's such a shame, the Civic could be a great car if the quality issues were not so common. It's not a cheap car and it should be better.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
My 9G Civic Tourer was one of the last to be manufactured and has the wandering sat nav issue. Dealer is currently waiting delivery of a new navigation unit. While the Civic was in the workshop for investigation I borrowed a new Jazz. As soon as I left the dealership the sat nav in the Jazz was wandering over the country. Next day on a short 5 or 6 mile journey the sat nav never found the true location. Over 5 days of loan the sat nav in the Jazz rarely worked correctly. Clearly Honda have some serious issues with their sub suppliers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A difficult question to answer I think.

I didn't own the 9G, though I did test drive it and it didn't feel that different from the 8G to me. Also I personally never liked the look of the 9G and thought it looked like a cutting edge design created by committee - it didn't have the sharp and bold design cues of the 8G. The 10G, I feel returns to form in terms of unique and bold styling.

The 10G to drive feels very refined compared to the 8G & 9G - however prepare for some rattle and creaking noises during ownership.
If you can't live with creaks and rattles perhaps get a 9G as I haven't read of any such issues with those.

OR get a low mileage well looked after 8G, just keep looking on Autotrader - they do come up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts