2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I was driving on a busy A road and needed to stop for some roadworks, so Engine auto-stopped. Clutch down & select 1st then all the lights just went out or dim. After that there's just enough power on the Aux ignition to dimly light the dashboard but as soon as I try to put on the hazard flashers or main ignition the lights just go off again.

Not nice being stuck in the middle of the road with no lights or hazards! Fiddling with battery terminals and cables didn't seem to sort it although at some point I had enough to put the hazards on.

The really annoying thing is when the recovery truck appeared 1hr later the guy gets in the car and starts it! I then take it to a local garage who scan for fault codes, check the battery & alternator - they couldn't find anything wrong. I've since examined the battery terminals and earth strap and they all seem pretty much OK. The car's worked fine the past couple of days but there's a fault lurking there somewhere and I don't like that feeling. Especially as my daily commute involves 100 miles of motorway, much of it dark.

I suspect maybe the main power feed from the battery to the fusebox or wherever it goes (not the starter motor cable, the ignition power cable with the fusable link). Does anybody know of a wiring diagram, or advise of part locations? Everything I saw suggests a bad connection somewhere rather than a firmware glitch or body control unit failure.

Car is a 2012 2.2 CDTi by the way.

Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
it is possible its a 1 off freak bad conection
but it has all the signs of a battery that's about to fail
battery testers are not 100% reliable they only show current state of charge with some doing a slight drain test which might or might not show a fault
was it cold at the time as batteries don't like the cold weather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, not cold at all, maybe 10-12 deg C? Also this was at the end of a 60-ish mile mostly motorway journey and couldn't even run the hazard lights so definitely looks more like a bad connection.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've just updated my post on the electric symptoms we've been having with our 9G. Turned out to be a problem with the under hood fuse box. One of the fuse contacts was poor, the base was pushed in too far to allow the fuse full contact. They found it by testing voltage on each fuse and found the faulty base at 7 to 8V instead of 12V. Whole box replaced with connecting wire looms under warranty.

I also remember my old 2 door Accord having an under hood fuse box problem, with similar eclectic symptoms that turned out to be the ELD and a TSB was issued at the time.

Good place to start hunting I guess for loose connections. Seems they have supplier issues with those things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well it hasn't re-occurred in the past week. I took the opportunity to have a good look at the battery connections over the weekend and they're fine apart from a slight touch of corrosion at the base of the positive terminal post. The fuses or modules in the fuse box next to the battery did move slightly when I pressed them so who knows? Other than that everything is as clean and dry as you could expect from a car of its age.

Still not a great feeling knowing that the car could completely cut out, especially without lights and hazards :surprise: My 50 mile commute both to and home from work is in darkness at this time of year, and much of it is on motorways. Two of the 3 roads also have no hard shoulder as one is a "smart" motorway the other being upgraded so a breakdown would be in a live lane :frown2:

At least if it does happen again I'll be a little more prepared with tools and a hi-viz in the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Sounds like an earthing problem, I had total loss of power on our FRV and it turned out it was the the alternator earthing out..

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back with my 1.6 gen 9, it turned out it was the battery shorting itself out when it got warm, then when it cooled down it worked fine. Took a while to figure it out though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts