2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Concealed USB Power to SatNav

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kremmen 
#1 ·
My 2013 1.8 does not have satnav so I used a Garmin portable unit. My main beef with portable units is the power cable that dangles across the dash... so I decided to do something about it.

I purchased a long USB cable with a female USB B at one end. I routed the cable so it neatly pops up at the base of the A pillar. The rest of the cable went hown the side of the dash, under the dash, along the bottom edge of the console. The cable went through an opening in the base of the lidded console to plug into the power outlet.

When I now use my SatNav, I put it on the windscreen with its Garmin suction cup, and I plug a short USB lead into the female USB power outlet discretely placed at the base of the A pillar. It works welll, looks clean and involves no drilling or removal of panels.

Happy to post pics if there is anyone interested.

#9 ·

#10 ·
Oh, I see what you've done. Almost teh same as me only you routed a longer lead.

I used one of these to shorten it and just route down to the fusebox:

Hardwire / Barewire Power Cable for TomTom ONE 130 130S ONE XL XL-S 330 330S GO 930 920 730 720 530 520 Navigon 2100 5100 7100 Magellan Maestro 3200 3210 3220 3250 4200 4210 4220 4250 5310 Roadmate 1200 1400 1412 1430 GPS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It does now say Tomtom but it was listed as Garmin when I bought it.
Your install is even cleaner... nice job.

#11 ·
Only snag with mine is that you need a multimeter to find an ignition switched power source.

Since my Garmin photo I've upgraded it to a high spec model with lifetime maps and traffic. The traffic I'm getting via Garmin's SmartLink Android app. Works very well and is far more up to date than the built in RDS TMC.

#14 ·
Thanks for the guides. I'm looking to do the same with my Civic when I pick it up this weekend.

Do you know the length of USB you used to reach from the A Pillar to the cubby?

Also looking at Kremmens option, where do you put the transformer? Is it just rattling around behind a piece of trim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.